Purchasing A New Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Syracuse 1981

Oct 19, 2018
Syracuse
I have a Dutchwest 2478 wood stove that I believe is no longer efficiently burning. So I'm ready to buy another wood stove but I'm not sure if I should buy a wood stove from a wood stove shop? Or a Homedepot or Tractor supply Co, type store. I've read tons of reviews for stoves being sold at Homedepot and Tractor Supply(Englander or Vogelzang) both stores have great reviews on a few stoves they sell. Also these stoves run about $1000 cheaper than a wood stove shop. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Some of the stoves sold at the big box stores are great stoves... Some are not.

It really depends on what you are wanting out the the stove and the space it needs to heat. Maybe post a bit about the space your heating and what you are wanting out of the stove.

Good point, I'm looking to heat my house that is 1400 sq. ft. The stove is my basement of a raised ranch and would like the new wood stove to heat my entire house if possible or with min use of my EXPENSIVE baseboard heat! I'm also contemplating having someone come check out my Dutchwest to confirm it's time to get a new stove.

I'm in the same spot. I been getting prices on larger fancier units like the Osburn 2400 and the regency 3100. The bids come in rather high. I been researching and for almost $2k less I could get an Englander which has great reviews. I want the bigger unit but for the cost difference I think I can make due with something a bit smaller.

Reactions: Syracuse 1981
Do a search on here for Englander or Summers heat. They get pretty good reviews. Just watch what the stove has to sit on some have very high standards while others are ember protection only. I have no info on these but im sure there is some under the search, Vogelzang.

Since its raised ranch I assume your basement is concrete?

Englander and sbi have some good budget stoves. They are good value without a doubt. But they are not as easy to work on generally not as durable and in some cases dont seem to give you as much control as some of the more expensive stoves. But they are absolutly a goid value and are well worth the money. I personally would never recomend anything from us stove company the parent company for vogelzang. They have made some decent stoves but in general their stoves are not very good at all.

Do a search on here for Englander or Summers heat. They get pretty good reviews. Just watch what the stove has to sit on some have very high standards while others are ember protection only. I have no info on these but im sure there is some under the search, Vogelzang.

Since its raised ranch I assume your basement is concrete?

Yes my basement floor is a painted concrete. Any recommendations for a wood stove with a budget of $2000?

I've looked at a Pacific Energy Super 27 stove and they wanted I believe $1900 for that stove. Looked pretty basic for that price.

Ok I think I've narrowed it down to Kodiak 1200..Osburn 1600 or 2000..PE Super 27. Also I should add my house does have some insulation issues that hopefully will be taken care of by next winter. Any insight to any of these stoves is greatly appreciated.

I've looked at a Pacific Energy Super 27 stove and they wanted I believe $1900 for that stove. Looked pretty basic for that price.
It has several unique features that add up to a great stove. Most are not visible on the outside. These include several stainless steel parts in the firebox, pumice stone firebrick, and a coupled secondary air control. It also has a square firebox which allows N/S loading. The fancier versions with the same firebox are the Spectrum Classic and the Alderlea T5.

Purchasing A New Wood StovePurchasing A New Wood Stove

Same pedestal, same burn control. Who knows.

The Enviro Kodiak 1200 is also a nice stove and very well made. I like the quality a lot and it has a bit better door latching mechanism than the PE. The firebox is primarily an E/W loader unless the splits are short. For this reason I prefer the Kodiak 1700. Same issue with both Osburn models.

Sorry. The Heatilator one was the larger size I thought was what he wanted. Here is mine and the quad side by side. Yes the doors on the quad are fancier but they cost more too.

Purchasing A New Wood Stove Purchasing A New Wood Stove

Theres' a family similarity and they may share some components, but the Heatilator is a value line, much like Drolet v Osburn or PE vs True North. There are cost saving areas that add up to make a difference. That said I haven't heard anything bad about the Heatilator. It seems like a decent stove though that 82% efficiency is not tested/listed on the EPA certification yet. Sounds more like marketing.

Last edited:
View attachment 231601View attachment 231600

Same pedestal, same burn control. Who knows.
Same pedestal other than the different radius on the corners and the seam in a different spot. Same burn control other than the quad has 2 controls and the heatilator has one. I have worked on heatilators and they are pretty good value line stoves. But they are not the same stove as quads.

Not saying exactly the same. I am pretty sure the QF that compares to mine has four tubes and mine has two. They cost more, and there is more to them as a result. True the HTTR is a value line. Right up my alley...LOL. I am betting the steel is a different gauge, no doubt. The HTTR stoves have been out for years and yet I cant find much feedback on them. If mine turns out to be a turd I surely will talk about it.

I really appreciate all the feedback on this thread. If I stay with burning wood I'm pretty sure I'm going with the PE Super 27 stove. But I think I may be leaving wood burning and going to a coal stove. Thanks again everyone and have a safe burning season!

I really appreciate all the feedback on this thread. If I stay with burning wood I'm pretty sure I'm going with the PE Super 27 stove. But I think I may be leaving wood burning and going to a coal stove. Thanks again everyone and have a safe burning season!
What type of chimney will it be going into?

I'm looking into possibly getting an Enviro Kodiak 1700 Fireplace insert. I want the largest firebox possible for my space, and this model seems to be the largest my local dealer carries. I cannot find any information online regarding Price of the stove. Does anybody have any info?