Purchasing a PE Summit Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brownsl

Nov 11, 2008
Ohio
I have been looking at purchasing a PE Summit Insert. This will be my first insert and after reading the reviews on this site it seems to be a very good insert. I have a question about its heating capacity. I have a ranch with about 3,400 sqft on the main floor. The house was built in 1990 with good insulation. The great room contains the existing fireplace and it is open to the dining room and the kitchen. This area is about 1,300 sqft and the great room has a cathedral ceiling. The rest of the house is down a winding hallway with a couple of bedrooms relatively close but the rest of the house a bit farther away. I believe this insert would not be too much but wanted to hear some comments from those more knowledgeable than myself.

Also, if anyone has words of advice in purchasing an insert I would love to hear them. I talked to three installers and only one said (without asking) that he used an insulated liner. The other two stated I did not need to insulate it after I asked about it. The fireplace is in good condition but is on an exterior wall and I live in West Central Ohio so I think it would be wise to insulate it.

Thanks,

Shawn

Great move, going with the Summit! This is my first year burning in one, and I cant brag enough about the unit. I certainly dont think it is 'too much'. My chimney is 27 feet, the first 1/2 is inside and the rest is outside. My sales person said I would not have to insulate, but since I had pleanty of room in the flue block, I did it any way. As well as added a block off plate at the damper and insulated the top of it as well. I'd say that if you can get an insulated liner in the existing chimney, it certainly cant hurt.

brownsl said:
I have been looking at purchasing a PE Summit Insert. This will be my first insert and after reading the reviews on this site it seems to be a very good insert. I have a question about its heating capacity. I have a ranch with about 3,400 sqft on the main floor. The house was built in 1990 with good insulation. The great room contains the existing fireplace and it is open to the dining room and the kitchen. This area is about 1,300 sqft and the great room has a cathedral ceiling. The rest of the house is down a winding hallway with a couple of bedrooms relatively close but the rest of the house a bit farther away. I believe this insert would not be too much but wanted to hear some comments from those more knowledgeable than myself.

Also, if anyone has words of advice in purchasing an insert I would love to hear them. I talked to three installers and only one said (without asking) that he used an insulated liner. The other two stated I did not need to insulate it after I asked about it. The fireplace is in good condition but is on an exterior wall and I live in West Central Ohio so I think it would be wise to insulate it.

Thanks,

Shawn

summit is a great stove
exterior chimney= insulated liner is a must!
if you really wanna make sure you heat the whole house get a blaze king they are big!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.