Purchasing our first pellet stove or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tennisbum1212

Dec 26, 2018
Whitesboro,TX
We are building our retirement barndominium in North central TX. The house portion will be heated with a dual fuel HVAC system. Electric heat pump with propane backup. Would like to augment heating the open kitchen/living room/dining room with wood or pellet stove. Ruled out ventless propane due to air quality. Vented propane stoves are too costly to operate. We have been reading your forums and all the problems people seem to be having with pellet stoves. Makes me want to go with wood stoves. We are close to 70 and thought the pellet stoves would be less maintenance. Looking for some guidance from veteran wood/pellet stove owners. New to this website. Thanks in advance!

Pellet stoves do have a lot of maintenance compared to a wood stove
but there is a lot of work involved with a wood stove ( securing ,stacking ,storing
good seasoned wood ) The people you see having problems with there pellet stoves
represent I feel less than 5 % of stoves in use . I base this on the people I know that
have pellet stoves and this group has less than one major break down in a year . Not
a bad average for over 20 stoves of different makes

Pellet stoves do have a lot of maintenance compared to a wood stove
but there is a lot of work involved with a wood stove ( securing ,stacking ,storing
good seasoned wood ) The people you see having problems with there pellet stoves
represent I feel less than 5 % of stoves in use . I base this on the people I know that
have pellet stoves and this group has less than one major break down in a year . Not
a bad average for over 20 stoves of different makes

Thanks Maple1. Our HVAC technician stated that in times of below freezing weather, the heat pump could not keep up and it would be cheaper with propane. Also my wife wants a gas oven and stove top.
Thanks

Unvented gas heater=almost 100% eff.Electric resistance heater=almost 100% eff.Direct vent gas heater80% eff.,unless one of the newer non-pilot light,electric ignition,over 90%. Average pellet stove=80% eff.Wood stove(newer especially) up to 80% eff.Any new installation of a wood stove,pellet stove should also be installed with an OAK,meaning the combustion air is coming from outside.Good newer heat pumps,and mini-splits,ave very eff.but may not give you the warmth of any of the above.Cheaper,and particular pellet stoves tend to require more maintenance,and have more problems.All that is just off the top of my head,did not feel like researching it again.Also,some pellet stoves,you can fill the hopper,as needed,scrape the pot every day or 3,and clean out ashes after 1/2 to 1 ton of pellets.

Thanks bob bare. Felt like wood or pellet stove would lower lower our winter utilities. Propane is not so cheap in TX anymore. We are out in the country on five acres and have no access to natural gas.
Thanks again.

The 2 stoves I would recommend are Enviro and Harman . Other may chime in
I have used the same stove for 17 years with out major breakdown (Enviro ). I buy unwanted
Enviro stoves clean ,paint and repair as needed then sell them on . Out of the 37 stoves
I have reworked I have had not one Complaint . But if you buy one stay with a GOOD brand
one you like and will work for you .

Reactions: Mt Bob
The 2 stoves I would recommend are Enviro and Harman . Other may chime in
I have used the same stove for 17 years with out major breakdown (Enviro ). I buy unwanted
Enviro stoves clean ,paint and repair as needed then sell them on . Out of the 37 stoves
I have reworked I have had not one Complaint . But if you buy one stay with a GOOD brand
one you like and will work for you .

I have a quadrafire cb1200 i bought in 2000, retired the wood stove and haven’t looked back. I also refurbish stoves as a hobbie. I currently own the same quad, 2 Breckwell big-E’s(in work rebuilding control boards). 2 whitfields, an old manual start lopi. If i were to replace my quad it would be with another quad or a harman. After many years of cutting, blocking, splitting, drying, stacking, then carrying in the house. I just carry a couple bags in every other night. Yes im pellet stove bias :cool:

Reactions: Mt Bob
Thanks Maple1. Our HVAC technician stated that in times of below freezing weather, the heat pump could not keep up and it would be cheaper with propane. Also my wife wants a gas oven and stove top.
Thanks

What make and model heat pump? There should be ductable heat pump solutions that heat efficiently, well below the freezing point.

If you have never heated with either wood or pellets, then you should understand that both require some sort of work and maintenance. Just as your main heating system will require work and maintenance (that electrical/propane bill is paying for someone else to do the work to secure the fuel). You don't say you have burned wood before, so I will respond under that assumption. I have used both and these are solely my opinions from past experience.

A wood stove will require wood - which means you either have to find a place you can fell your own trees, cut into length, split, dry (1-3 years) and stack; OR, you pay someone else to do it (We cut our own). Then you have to haul it into the house and feed the stove - maybe several times a day. You also have to clean up bark, dirt, insects, the occasional rodent etc along with cleaning ash out of the stove on a regular basis. If your stove and pipe install is good, then there aren't many parts to break. I believe catalytic converters do need to be maintained (assuming you go with a cat stove - our stove wasn't).

Pellets are always gotten from someone else per bag or by the pallet (a ton). The decision is where you get the pellets, what quality you can live with (I can live with middling quality, others need the higher end), and how you get the pellets to your place; do you haul yourself or do you pay a delivery charge? The nice thing about pellets is they don't have the mess of bark/dirt and rarely have insects or rodents so it is easier to store a bunch in your house instead of outside. Depending on the stove, you could be required to remove ashes every day, or go a month or more (depending on use) before ash removal. Each brand also has different basic maintenance techniques that you can pay someone to do, or perform yourself - that basic maintenance is usually somewhere around a ton of use.

Make no mistake, pellet stoves have moving parts and electrical needs, so parts breaking/wearing is more likely with a pellet stove as to a wood stove (excepting Cat). Pellets, IMHO are easier and cleaner to deal with and since I don't have any area outside to store wood, work best for my circumstance. Oh yea another consideration, wood stoves can still be used if the electricity goes out. Pellet stoves (except WiseWays) depend on electricity.

Only you and your wife can determine what is best for your circumstances (like is she willing/able to help - and if so, to what extent?).

Good luck with your decision!

I have a quadrafire cb1200 i bought in 2000, retired the wood stove and haven’t looked back. I also refurbish stoves as a hobbie. I currently own the same quad, 2 Breckwell big-E’s(in work rebuilding control boards). 2 whitfields, an old manual start lopi. If i were to replace my quad it would be with another quad or a harman. After many years of cutting, blocking, splitting, drying, stacking, then carrying in the house. I just carry a couple bags in every other night. Yes im pellet stove bias :cool:

Thanks. We will check them out.

If you have never heated with either wood or pellets, then you should understand that both require some sort of work and maintenance. Just as your main heating system will require work and maintenance (that electrical/propane bill is paying for someone else to do the work to secure the fuel). You don't say you have burned wood before, so I will respond under that assumption. I have used both and these are solely my opinions from past experience.

A wood stove will require wood - which means you either have to find a place you can fell your own trees, cut into length, split, dry (1-3 years) and stack; OR, you pay someone else to do it (We cut our own). Then you have to haul it into the house and feed the stove - maybe several times a day. You also have to clean up bark, dirt, insects, the occasional rodent etc along with cleaning ash out of the stove on a regular basis. If your stove and pipe install is good, then there aren't many parts to break. I believe catalytic converters do need to be maintained (assuming you go with a cat stove - our stove wasn't).

Pellets are always gotten from someone else per bag or by the pallet (a ton). The decision is where you get the pellets, what quality you can live with (I can live with middling quality, others need the higher end), and how you get the pellets to your place; do you haul yourself or do you pay a delivery charge? The nice thing about pellets is they don't have the mess of bark/dirt and rarely have insects or rodents so it is easier to store a bunch in your house instead of outside. Depending on the stove, you could be required to remove ashes every day, or go a month or more (depending on use) before ash removal. Each brand also has different basic maintenance techniques that you can pay someone to do, or perform yourself - that basic maintenance is usually somewhere around a ton of use.

Make no mistake, pellet stoves have moving parts and electrical needs, so parts breaking/wearing is more likely with a pellet stove as to a wood stove (excepting Cat). Pellets, IMHO are easier and cleaner to deal with and since I don't have any area outside to store wood, work best for my circumstance. Oh yea another consideration, wood stoves can still be used if the electricity goes out. Pellet stoves (except WiseWays) depend on electricity.

Only you and your wife can determine what is best for your circumstances (like is she willing/able to help - and if so, to what extent?).

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks. Very good information for thought!

I'm 70 and a half and been heating with pellet stoves for the last 10 years. I did the wood thing for 10+ years but honestly I don't want to deal with the cord Wood anymore cutting it up storing it it's heavy and dirty. I'm on my fifth and last pellet stove. All I can say is you get when you pay for. I bought a Ravalli RV100c pellet stove and I love it out of all the pellet stoves I have had. Built in thermostat works great and has all kinds of programming functions if you want to really get into it. Pretty pricey but I'm very happy. I have a 2000 square foot house and the only time the oil furnace runs is when I need my domestic hot water. I live in Maine and burn about four ton a year.

I prefer less moving parts,less cleaning time.My old Integra heated this place for years,but had small ash pan,and daily cleaning of pot,no self igniter.Still installed in basement,us it 2-5 times a year.My Harman Accentra is one of the easiest stoves I have ever cleaned,runs off a thermostat,quiet and low maintenance,and parts are readily available,and relatively inexpensive.I am not a fan of full digital touch screen stoves,even the new Harmans.

What make and model heat pump? There should be ductable heat pump solutions that heat efficiently, well below the freezing point.

Maple1. I don’t know make and model yet. We’ve built the metal barndominium, but have not finished the inside. We presently live in AZ and are getting our house ready to sale around March. Then we will move to TX and live in our fifth wheel while finishing the inside. I will get some cost figures when we get started. It might be cost efficient to just put in a direct vent gas fireplace vs wood/pellet stoves. Thanks

I'm 70 and a half and been heating with pellet stoves for the last 10 years. I did the wood thing for 10+ years but honestly I don't want to deal with the cord Wood anymore cutting it up storing it it's heavy and dirty. I'm on my fifth and last pellet stove. All I can say is you get when you pay for. I bought a Ravalli RV100c pellet stove and I love it out of all the pellet stoves I have had. Built in thermostat works great and has all kinds of programming functions if you want to really get into it. Pretty pricey but I'm very happy. I have a 2000 square foot house and the only time the oil furnace runs is when I need my domestic hot water. I live in Maine and burn about four ton a year.

Thanks. I will check Ravilli out. Nice moose by the way!

1st,sealing and insulation should be your top priority.2nd,research heat pumps,and mini-splits,variable vane technology has really made them preform awesome.But,if you want "raw" heat,or even a nice fire to look at,gas(freestanding or fake fireplace),pellets or wood are nice.My neighbor built probably one of the most energy efficient houses out here in MT,ground source heat pump,but ended up putting in a wood stove,for part time use,because he missed the "raw" heat.

Thanks. I will check Ravilli out. Nice moose by the way!
The only thing I don't like about the Ravalli is you got to get the parts from a dealer can't get them from online. I've burned about eight tons through the one I have now which is not allot. I did have an issue with the air flow meter. My dealer called Ravalli and my dealer told me how to disable it and it's been working great as once. I've been on this forem for a while and it appears all makes and models have issues so just go with one that you're comfortable with and have dealer support if needed. I really liked my enviro mini. Sorry to confuse the issue

For a while I thought about a Sedore biomass stove, but even their smallest model is too large for our house. Perhaps that is something that would work for you.

Thanks Spacebus, Bob bare and jerieric for your help. This barndominium will be so well insulated that after listening
to bob bare’s thoughts l am wondering if we will need anything more than a vented gas heater in the great room for occasional raw heat. I will need a wood/pellet stove in the 1400 sq. ft. garage/workshop though. I don’t care for the propane heaters as they tend to give me a headache after a while. Again, thanks for all that have contributed. Y’all have been a real help. Take care this winter!