Pure sine wave 900W UPS on Sale at Costco $150

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pelleting In NJ

Minister of Fire
Sep 26, 2011
Central NJ
Pure sinewave 900W UPS and surge protector on sale March 3 thru March 28, $150, thats about as cheap as they get. Cyberpower brand.
For your pellet stove.

good price for cyberpower

Those units shown above, from Amazon, are not the model on-sale at Costco. (Model CST1500S). This is a special model for Costco, basicaly the same as a CP1500PFCLCD.

Last edited:
Says it will run full power 2 Minutes. Also does not state "Pure Sine Wave" but Sine Wave. Call them and ask. Best guess it's not PURE Sine Wave. This is really made for smaller appliances. Best guess it will run for 4 minutes tops. Can it even be hooked to external battery? If you want it to power your stove keep looking. This is not good item for that. AIMS has some good ones. But length is not about the Inverter, but the battery size.
https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/battery-backup/cst1500s/

Reactions: ABusWrench
How many watts does a pellet stove use on average? I just got a cheapo bestek 500w pure sine for $58 on amazon. For running wood stove blower and a floor fan, shouldn't be over 180w with both fans on high. I have 3 spare deep cycle and 3 or 4 car batteries if need be.

The room and combustion fans of a typical pellet stove consume a total of about 80W to 120W. The average power for the auger motor is very small, since it only runs intermittently.

Any UPS with a 12V replaceable battery can be hooked up to a car battery, just extend the wires. According to the user manual, this CST1500S uses two internal 12V 7AH batteries, so two 12V car batteries would be needed.

And the runtime (with its built-in 2x 12v 7AH battery) is 2 minutes at 900W, 9 minutes at 450W, 31 minutes at 200W, 74 minutes at 100W. If you hook up a typical 90AH car battery to it, instead of the 7AH internal battery, it will run for roughly 13 times longer than the above runtimes. (90AH/7AH)

The CST1500S is "Pure Sinewave" because it is specified as compatible with "Active PFC", which requires a pure sinwave.

Attachments

• CyberPower_DS_CST1500S.pdf
    525.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Get yourself a couple Group 31 flooded cell jars and wire them in parallel and to the UPS unit. That will give you gobs of run time. Just make sure the UPS unit can trickle charge the batteries.

Also make sure if you add unsealed batteries to the mix you have them adequately ventilated as the hydrogen gas they emit while being charged could send you into orbit if ignited.
Ron

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Also make sure if you add unsealed batteries to the mix you have them adequately ventilated as the hydrogen gas they emit while being charged could send you into orbit if ignited.
Ron

You could also use AGM's like Odysseys that don't vent off gas but they are expensive or a Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries (even more expensive). In my RV. I use flooded cell conventional batteries (2 Group 31's in parallel but they reside in a vented battery box separate from the RV itself. Hydrogen gas is extremely explosive.

No matter, I would build a n externally vented battery box to contain them and vent it to the outside no matter what. One boo-boo and you'll not only explode the batteries, you'll blow your wall out too and probably get hurt. Flooded cell batteries contain sulfuric acid and it's corrosive to your skin and will blind you if you get it in your eyes. All flooded cell batteries as they discharge and charge liberate hydrogen gas as part of the process. You also need to check the electrolyte levels in them and top off with distilled water every few months. Do not use tap water, it contains minerals that will short the plates inside.

2 Group 31's will power your stove for days, no problem. Group 31's will have a minimum 850 useable amps available. Most have around 1100.

There is more to it than Inverter and Batteries. You need cables that can handle that much load. This Unit does not support that much load. Look elsewhere. Your going to need 4aw Cable and I don't see anything on this to hook up the cable to. Have to carry the AMPS without melting it. This unit is for LIGHT duty. Cell phone and charger. And no 2 Batteries will run your Stove for Days. Think 6 hours per 100AH of Battery. To run for days it will have to be REALLY Big. 1000ah Battery. Your going to find Inverter Generator lots cheaper in the long run for that long of run time. Get one that uses propane.

2 Group 31's will power your stove for days, no problem. Group 31's will have a minimum 850 useable amps available. Most have around 1100.
Your Confusing AMPS with CCA. Not the same thing here. The rule of thumb for converting CCA to Ah is dividing the CCA by 7.25. For instance, if your battery is marked with a 1450 CCA, it represents 200 Ah. A battery of this rating should last for 25 hours while producing power of 8 amps.

Your better off getting battery that is not for Automobile. One for Solar Applications or such. Lithium if you can afford it is nice.

Your Confusing AMPS with CCA. Not the same thing here.
I suggest you look up continuous amp ratings on group 31 flooded cell jars and then comment. I am not confusing CCA with delivered amp ratings.

I will agree that the cabling is insufficient. In my RV I used neoprene jacketed stranded copper welding cable and crimp on Tweco solid copper lugs for power transmission as well as ANL fusing.

Didn't bother looking at the suggested unit. I'd be getting a AIMS Power unit if it was me. They ain't cheap but you get what you pay for.

I don't need a UPS unit. I have a 30 KW diesel powered standby genset that runs the farm (and the stove) with automatic transfer.

Little over 120AH on One of the Super Batteries your quoting. Your still confusing CCA and AMPS. Not the same thing at all. Example. Amazon product ASIN B0042L7DZ8 https://www.xenonpro.com/peak-amps-vs-cranking-amps-vs-cold-cranking-amps-jump-starters OP won't be happy with the small UPC for running his stove. Unless it shutdown within 4 minutes. To me it's waste of money for Pellet Stove. Better Spent on Real Inverter/Charger and Big Batteries or Inverter Generator. Glad you have big genny. OP just wants to run his pellet stove. I did some research and real world testing with mine. Best I can get is 6 hours out of 100ah Battery. Stove on Half Speed Fan and Manual Mode too. More than enough time to keep house warm during outage. Then go to 7kw Genny https://resources.secamerica.com/how-long-will-my-pellet-stove-run-on-a-battery-backup

Show us your 850ah Type Battery Please. It must cost a pretty penny. We had some big ones in the HTAC in Korea. Banks and Banks of them to run the Building size of Walmart. All Underground too. Not Milli Amps, but AMPS.

The biggest group 31 flooded cell battery I've seen is 125AH and at my estimate 2 will run the stove for about 12.5 hrs. Even 2 group 8 batteries which are 50% longer, 50% wider and twice the weight won't get you 1 full day. I think Sidecar your forgetting that 2 amps at 120 volts is 20 amps at 12 volts and that's not counting the waste in the conversion.

Dataman a #4 cable would work for the load. Just take the original batteries out and hook the battery cables to the wire ends from the original batteries. Not sure what kind of circuit protection is inside the unit so to be safe I would put an inline circuit breaker or fuse into the wiring.
Ron

Unit made for Cell Phone I would not trust with 200ah of Batteries or more. Besides no external hookups for Battery anyway. The Unit is not designed for OP's Purpose

I'm not sure where you're getting this unit is made for a cell phone. It's rated at 1500VA/ 900W. That's one heck of a cell phone UPS. It has 5 surge protected outlets and is designed to power computers or entertainment systems, etc. I have one on my TV/satellite system and secondary network and it easily powers the whole system which is about 250 watts for 30 minutes. I use it to keep everything running until the stand by system kicks in so it rarely runs more than 1 minute but I have run it for 30 on the stock batteries. Replacing the batteries with larger ones will not change the output wattage of the device just change how long it will run under a load. Connecting the cables to the existing cables isn't a problem. I have 2 other UPS's that power my server and DSL modem and they both have larger external batteries and they work just fine and have for more than a year. The batteries aren't group 31 but are larger than the stock ampere hour sealed batteries. I expect what you saw is it has 2 usb charging ports also that work when the power is out but this is not a cell phone charger. Heck it weighs just under 25lbs who would want to use it just to power or charge a cell only.
Ron

Reactions: Ssyko
I have the Cyberpower. Matter of fact, power outage yesterday, plenty of time to shut down my stove.. In shut down mode, room blower on for short time, then combustion blower until certain stove temp... Thing is you have to be home for shutdown..

Not going to run very long with such a small battery. I use UPS (AIMS 1250) with 200ah of batteries for 10-12 hours of time. Then Inverter/Generator for longer. What good is 30 min at night? If that unit can be paired with battery that would be better. Good for your Computer.

Watch your stove with those... Had the same as above and randomly the fan on my stove would kick on for a few seconds and then off... I always thought i was just hearing things until one day the fan kicked on for a good min.. Quite puzzled i unplugged the backup and pluged my tower fan into it thinking the battery needed a good cycle and recharge. It fried the fan in about 20 seconds the battery went from a full charge to empty in about the same amount of time.. Needless to say the thing went into the trash, never even tried to get warranty. So if your stove starts to do weird things their is your place to start

Reactions: Washed-Up