Recommended UPS for a Piazzetta Monia

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dgroyal

Jan 16, 2022
Nova Scotia
We have a Piazzetta Monia and I'd like to get a UPS for it. My goal isn't to run it for an extended period of time, but just to be able to shut it down properly if we should lose power. I would be grateful for any recommended UPS's. My understanding is that I need a pure sine wave UPS.

Here are a couple that I'm considering based on things I've read elsewhere in this forum:
APC BR1000MS Sine Wave UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector, 1000VA - Amazon CA
CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System, 1000VA/600W - Amazon CA

I'm leaning towards the first one, just because it's about half as much ($180 CA vs $360 CA). Again, I'm not looking to run the stove for any length of time, just to be able to shut it down in the event of a power outage.

One other question I have is how careful do I need to be about placement? Would it be OK to place this by the side of the stove? It isn't particularly hot down there, but I don't have a lot of UPS experience so I don't know how sensitive they are.

Thanks for your help with this, and if additional information would be helpful please just let me know.

So i looked up the average amperage/wattage draw for your stove minus the igniter, medium burn rate..is at 1.3 amps.. The APC will do 27 minutes at 1.3 amps/156 watts, the Cyberpower will do about the same, maybe a little less. I'd go with APC..
I have mine behind my stove , doesn't seem to be an issue or very hot there..

So i looked up the average amperage/wattage draw for your stove minus the igniter, medium burn rate..is at 1.3 amps.. The APC will do 27 minutes at 1.3 amps/156 watts, the Cyberpower will do about the same, maybe a little less. I'd go with APC..
I have mine behind my stove , doesn't seem to be an issue or very hot there..
Thanks @gfreek that's very helpful!

Oh, and can you tell me where you found the average draw? I looked in the manual, and the max draw I saw for the non-ignition time was 88W. Thanks!

Ah, thanks! Mine isn't a 2.0, so I understand the difference.

Two other thoughts / questions that I had.

1) Is the 1000VA/600W version enough to do the shutdown cycle, or do you think it's worth going to 1350VA/810W for an extra $40 CA?
2) Right now, I have a dedicated surge protector on the stove. If I have the UPS, could I move that to another appliance, or would you recommend plugging the UPS into the surge protector?

Thanks!

Ah, thanks! Mine isn't a 2.0, so I understand the difference.

Two other thoughts / questions that I had.

1) Is the 1000VA/600W version enough to do the shutdown cycle, or do you think it's worth going to 1350VA/810W for an extra $40 CA?
2) Right now, I have a dedicated surge protector on the stove. If I have the UPS, could I move that to another appliance, or would you recommend plugging the UPS into the surge protector?

Thanks!
No,you don't plug a UPS, that has a built in surge protector, into another surge protector.

No,you don't plug a UPS, that has a built in surge protector, into another surge protector.
Makes sense. I had seen that recommended on another thread, but perhaps that was a UPS that wasn't also a surge protector.

Do you have any opinion on the size of the UPS? Do you think 1000VA/600W would be enough? Per my manual, my max power input at work is 88W, and my understanding is that the 1000VA/600W gives 43 minutes at 100W, which seems like plenty. I've never tried to determine electrical draw before, though, so I'd appreciate a second opinion. Thanks!

Makes sense. I had seen that recommended on another thread, but perhaps that was a UPS that wasn't also a surge protector.

Do you have any opinion on the size of the UPS? Do you think 1000VA/600W would be enough? Per my manual, my max power input at work is 88W, and my understanding is that the 1000VA/600W gives 43 minutes at 100W, which seems like plenty. I've never tried to determine electrical draw before, though, so I'd appreciate a second opinion. Thanks!
Depends on what you expect.1500 is considered normal for stove owners wanting a clean shut down, with some reserve. However, if you are not at home, and your stove does not have an auto shut down mode, it will just run until the UPS runs low, and then a shut down just like the power going out.

If you go to that page , scroll down and plug in 90 watts it gives you a run time of 48 minutes. Not very familiar with your stove, does that give you enough time for a shutdown ?? More watts is always better, IMO
And no, so don't plug in another protector,the APC has a surge rating of 1080 joules in itself..