putting a timer on a electric water heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce

Nov 20, 2005
long pond pa
has anyone tried it?
will it work?
will the savings be better than the longer heating cycles when off timer?

My father likes his. He has been using it for nearly 20 years now. I think the tank is a 40gal with one adult living in the house.

I would imagine if your tank was insulated well there wouldn't be too much of a temp drop when the power goes off. It probably has to do with the amount of time you can allow the temp to fall. If you can let it fall 8 hours while you are at work it may work... I've heard that is a general rule for letting the temp fall with programmable thermostats in houses.

Matt

I was going to do it and started looking around online. Seems with my well insulated new water heater that it doesn't make much difference. I tested by popping the breaker at night for a few days and the difference was absolutely nil.

You really aren't going to save much energy if the heater is well insulated, but can save a lot of money if you have time-of-use electric rates. They charge less at night and on the weekends for electricity. It requires a special meter and not all utilities offer it.

Chris

I had one installed 3 1/2 years ago when I replaced my water heater. The electric company, United Illumination of CT, provided the timer for free, requiring me to install a 80 gallon unit and subscribe to a time of day usage plan. I was told the tank has two heaters. One to create hot water, and one to maintain storage temperature. The timer is set to only provide electricity to the heater creating the hot water at off peak hours. The heater that maintains storage temperature is not connected to the timer. We are three adults that shower at least daily and have never lost hot water. I think we're saving a bit, but I'm really not sure. When comparing our monthly bills to our neighbors, who are not on a time of day plan and do not have timers installed, our bills are about 2/3 of theirs. I realize that's not a very scientific approach, and there are many other variables, but I'm happy I went with the timer and time of day plan. I really think the biggest advantage with the plan is during the summer months when the A/C units are cranking all night and during the weekends.

I plan to do this also using a home automation system (X10). I'm pretty sure that, much like a setback thermostat on your HVAC, you gain by turning off the heater when its not needed. I recall reading research supporting this from ORNL or some other reputable source. The rate of heat transfer is directly dependant upon the difference in temp between the two mediums so less heat is lost if you let the temp decrease during times of low/no use.

Status
Not open for further replies.