Puzzled

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KWP

Mar 14, 2019
Ontario
Lookng for suggestions....
Two fireplaces, one on main level in living room and the other in the basement below. Separate flues, shared brick exterior chimney. When we have a fire upstairs the basement gets smokey. We’ve taken the following steps so far:
1. My husband is crazy about fire safety so the chimney is cleaned at least twice a year (and we might have a dozen fires a year in the winter).
2. Based on reading about interior pressurization, we always crack a window in the living room when we light the fire. We do all the normal steps to warm the flue and get the draw rolling well.
3. Capped the flue for the basement fireplace as we never use it, and will eventually install a gas insert. Professional mason did it and repointed the full cap at the same time. Did this thinking the basement flue was acting as a downdraft to the basement.
4. Theres an ash dump in the bottom of the firebox but there isn’t a clean out outside or visible in the basement (basement was finished when we bought the house). We never used the dump and were concerned it might be a source of smoke to the basement so we had a steel plate made and used fireproof adhesive to cap the dump cover inside the fire box.

The only time we don’t seem to get a smokey basement is when there’s a good wind blowing outside. Sometimes there’s a light visible haze and sometimes just a strong smell, but it lingers for about a week. We have also been keeping a basement window open when we have a fire. The only other part of the house that consistently gets the smell is the powder room on the main floor that is located above the furnace room .

We love having fires but we’re at a loss!! Any wisdom that can be shared will be super appreciated

Do the two flue tiles end at the same height at the chimney top or are they different heights. Has anyone run a camera down the active flue to check for cracks in the flue tiles?

Have the flues scanned as suggested. But also open a window in the basement not the living room. The open window upstairs creates more negative pressure in the basement

Reactions: begreen
Good point. I was wondering why they would need to open a window at all for starting the fire on the main floor?

Do the two flue tiles end at the same height at the chimney top or are they different heights. Has anyone run a camera down the active flue to check for cracks in the flue tiles?

Yes they end at the same height but the one that isn’t used (for the basement fireplace) was sealed by a mason 2 years ago and it didn’t help). The reading we did early on described the pressure changes in the house when we have a fire on amd suggested cracking a window in the same room. We have only been opening one in the basement to try and minimize the haze and odour.

Also begreen, what sort of company will scan a flue? Sweeps?? We had both certified when we bought the house but it was a bit of a joke....

Also begreen, what sort of company will scan a flue? Sweeps?? We had both certified when we bought the house but it was a bit of a joke....
Certified how?

A chimney sweep can scan the chimney. In my experience, some sweeps will try to say that it’s not needed for this reason or that. Just tell them over the phone that that is what you’re looking for and stick to it.

Yes they end at the same height but the one that isn’t used (for the basement fireplace) was sealed by a mason 2 years ago and it didn’t help). The reading we did early on described the pressure changes in the house when we have a fire on amd suggested cracking a window in the same room. We have only been opening one in the basement to try and minimize the haze and odour.
The smoke is getting downstairs somehow. Opening an upstairs window may be creating negative pressure in the basement that is pulling in smoke from the basement fireplace. There are two pathways, the top of the flue (that is supposed to be sealed) or failed flue tiles / flue tile mortar joints. We can't inspect the mason's work to see if the top is actually sealed well and we can't inspect the flue liners. It will take a certified sweep to do this, unless you want to carefully attach a camera or cellphone to a rope and lower it down there. If employing a sweep, ask for a level 2 inspection of the flue liners to find out if there are flaws that need to be remedied. Have them review the video footage so that you can see the condition of the clay liners.

Certified how?
They were WETT certified by a sweep....My husband said they used a flashlight to look down the flue from the roof and up the flue from inside and said they were both “fine”...$400 and 20 mins later. I’ll find someone who can use a camera to inspect it for us. Thanks very much to both of you for your help!!

I had a similar problem and blocked it with roxul. I just installed a new insert in basement with a bit of downdraft from upstairs unit. I am thinking about putting sheet metal on the side of chimney cap of lower flue to prevent smokey downdraft?

Install a liner in the active chimney, anchor the top of the liner and install a 3ft section of class A pipe on top so the chimney is higher then the other flue.
This will do 2 different things, if you have a missing mortar joint in the active flue it will be sealed by the liner, the extra class A pipe will provide a better draft and have the smoke exit higher then the other flue (even if its capped, there will be less of a chance of the flues competing)
Fire places are really nice, but a wood burning insert is more efficient and also more controllable then an open fireplace.

Both flues are lined and have inserts.
Which one should be higher smokey basement or upstairs?
Is a sheet metal separator a bad idea, a buddy of mine did this.

Both flues are lined and have inserts.
Which one should be higher smokey basement or upstairs?
Is a sheet metal separator a bad idea, a buddy of mine did this.
Is that a general question? It depends if the home is experiencing stack effect / negative pressure issues, if there is no issue in the basement then I would add more flue to the next level because by default its a shorter run, but thats only if theres a problem.

Problem solved for now. I got a cheap HF heat gun. I run it for a minute or two with window open close by. I follow that with a quick hot paper, cardboard and kindling fire.

Reactions: andym
They were WETT certified by a sweep....My husband said they used a flashlight to look down the flue from the roof and up the flue from inside and said they were both “fine”...$400 and 20 mins later. I’ll find someone who can use a camera to inspect it for us. Thanks very much to both of you for your help!!
Good, both flues should be inspected.