Q for the HVAC guys, HPump "exercise"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
We have a 2 year old trane heat pump, primarily for cooling duty. I let it run a bit in the winter, and the wife asked "why" today. I know I heard to do that on here.

What is the reason, and how often/long should it be run?
Our old one Sat for years, then ran great for years before a local guy overpressurized it and screwed it up
Thanks!
OB

a heat pump, as well as an air conditioner, is a sealed system (when installed correctly). having it sit idle for years at a time will not hurt any of the internal components. corrosion may inhibit external moving parts (contactors and motors, and circuit boards may crumble) but that corrosion would happen whether or not the parts are used.

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.