Quad 1200i startup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

verge32

Oct 25, 2008
RI
I have a Quad 1200i, and if I set the flame height like it says in the manual it dumps too much pellets on the next startup. It will fill up with smoke and you cant see anything for about 10 seconds. The exhaust fan slows down before the fire is ignited. If there was only a way to control the startup feed from the burn feed. Last year it had a big bang when it lit and scared me. The dealer didnt seem like there was a problem and said it was normal for smoke. Just seems strange that other people I know with other makes of stoves dont have heavy smoke at startup. Am I the only one with this problem?

Are you burning pellets that are dry? As you probably know, damp wood will smolder longer before it actually lights.

Don't really think this is your problem but thought I'd throw it out there.

My Englander smokes a little bit before the pellets light. Nothing excessive, and I can still easily see the burn pot and pellets through the smoke.

How old is the unit, and when was the last time it was FULLY cleaned (I mean everything).

A slow start-up can point to a restrict exhaust path. Slower airflow, slower ignition.

Hi Verg32....I have the Quad 1200 stand alone.... I have timed mine and it responds like this..... from start, it starts putting in pellets , at 1 min. 45 secs. it starts producing smoke. At 2 min. roughly, smoke behind glass is thick but then a flame starts and within 10 more seconds, smoke is gone. I have never has any bangs and it starts up the same every time like clockwork. The innitial feed time is 1:35 according to this statement from the service manual.... "REMEMBER THAT THE FEED CIRCUIT INITIAL FEED TIME IS 1:35"

also.....from the manual.....

"IF THE COMBUSTION AIR IS RESTRICTED TO THE FIREPOT OR IF THE COMBUSTION AIR TRAP DOOR
(SEE *FIGURE 7) IS NOT CLOSED, THE STOVE WILL HAVE TALL, SOOTY, AND LAZY FLAMES. THE
PELLETS WILL ALSO HAVE A HARD TIME LIGHTING DUE TO THE LACK OF COMBUSTION AIR COMING TO
THE FIREPOT OR BY COMBUSTION AIR BYPASSING THE FIREPOT DUE TO THE COMBUSTION AIR TRAP
DOOR NOT CLOSING PROPERLY. THIS TRAP DOOR IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ISOLATING COMBUSTION AIR
FROM THE EXHAUST GASES".

Another section says....

THE FIREPOT IS MADE OF CAST STEEL AND IS DESIGNED WITH AIR INTAKE HOLES THAT SWIRL THE
FIRE AND HELP TO REMOVE THE ASH CREATED FROM THE BURNING OF THE PELLET FUEL. THERE IS
ALSO A SLOT OR AIR PASSAGE IN THE BOTTOM SIDE OF THE FIREPOT THAT ALLOWS HOT AIR FROM
THE IGNITER TO LIGHT THE PELLET FUEL. DURING THE BURN CYCLE PROCESS IN THE FIREPOT,
“CLINKER” MATERIAL WILL START TO BUILD-UP. (SEE *FIGURE 1) THE RATE OF THIS BUILD-UP WILL
DEPEND ON THE QUALITY OF THE PELLET FUEL BEING USED. OVER TIME THIS BUILD-UP OF CLINKER
MATERIAL CAN OBSTRUCT THE AIR PASSAGES AND CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH THE OPERATION OF
THE FIREPOT. THIS CAN ALSO CAUSE THE FIREPOT CLEAN OUT DOOR TO BECOME HARD TO PULL IF
THE FIREPOT IS NOT CLEANED ON A REGULAR BASIS.

hope some of this helps you trouble shoot the problem....... :)

verge32 said:
I have a Quad 1200i, and if I set the flame height like it says in the manual it dumps too much pellets on the next startup. It will fill up with smoke and you cant see anything for about 10 seconds. The exhaust fan slows down before the fire is ignited. If there was only a way to control the startup feed from the burn feed. Last year it had a big bang when it lit and scared me. The dealer didnt seem like there was a problem and said it was normal for smoke. Just seems strange that other people I know with other makes of stoves dont have heavy smoke at startup. Am I the only one with this problem?

Set the the pellet feed control for a 4-6 inch flame out of pot on high. It takes about 10 minutes on high to settle down. I would set yours on 4 inches.
I get smoke on start up 1/4 of the time, my flame always hits the plates on start up, the stove is cold so it can take the heat.
I have a free standing, I think there is little operational difference.

The 'bang' you hear is actually just the wood gasses igniting. My stove will do this if the temp outside is still a little warm like now and the draft is not too strong causing smoke buildup at first. I will also get this behavior if I need a good cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.