Quad 4100I Smoke Spillage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
2 story drafty house, 25 foot SS lined chimney.

No matter how hot the fire is, or what stage it is, if I open the door the gasses change from going up the chimney, to into the house.

I'll have a ragging fire burning, watching the secondary burn roll around the baffle and almost to the chimney outlet. To me obvously there is a dedcent draft if this is happening.

If I open the door it's like someone flipped a switch, and closed the chimney.

Even when its just a bed of hot coals, and I go to stir them up with the "poker" I'll get some sparks floating out of the door and straight up.

Any thoughts?

I have even tried opening the front door, windows near, and it hasn't changed a thing.

My only thought is, the insert is inside an old "heat form" or "heatilator" fireplace. There are openings in the brick face about a foot above the stove where I can look through and see the liner. I don't have a bottom block off plate, just the upper one. Is it possible a small draft could be escaping?

Has the flue cap been checked recently for plugging?

Has this been happening all winter, or just recently? Outside temps unusually warm with low atmospheric pressure?

Edit: Another thought if this has been happening for a while. Check to be sure the baffle boards are all the way against the back of the stove and that the ceramic blanket is laying flat and not obstructing smoke flow.

An update...

Went up and actually REMOVED the cap from my chimney liner. It's a 6 inch "china hat" type cap. It stopped the smoke spillage but my draft still isn't that "great" in my opinion.

my chimney is about 25' SS lined..

Status
Not open for further replies.