Quad CB1200 auger turns twice and then nothing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newbiepellet burner

Jan 29, 2020
Sand lake Mi
I have searched extensively and haven’t found this one. New to the pellet stove heating world, and to save money trying to trouble shoot myself from reading this forum. Be gentle, I am just learning and have no electricity experience!
Bought a used pellet stove and it was going great.
Pellet stove was burning slow sooty flames, took it apart and cleaned it really well. When went to start it up again, it wouldn’t feed pellets. Tried jumping snap disks, cleaned vacuum hose, nipples. Auger turns twice and then stops until you unplug and plug it back in again. and bought new vacuum switch. Nothing. Can I get some suggestions?

You say it turns twice and quits. How do you know this? kap

This does not make any sense as on the 1200, the auger is in the hopper, under a metal cover, you have to remove to see it. kap

Actually you can see the motor and connector from the side with the triangle cover removed. Unplug the stove.
In the hopper on the right hand side is the control box (under a cover) remove the cover and pull the control box and reinsert. Plug back in make sure the jumper or thermostat wire is connected to the 2 terminals on the bottom in the back of the stove. Then try it.

Does any fire start? Now you say 2 turns, do you mean 2 full revolutions? Or it turns on 2 times?

Try putting a 1/2 cup of pellets in the pot and hit reset. See if we can get a fire going . Then we will have more info for troubleshooting.

Try putting a 1/2 cup of pellets in the pot and hit reset. See if we can get a fire going . Then we will have more info for troubleshooting.
No fire and ignition is not warming up. Did notice that the plenum floor thing was open and not hooked up right. Got that fixed. Could it be ignition?

Is there a red call light on by your reset button? Is there a jumper wire on thermostat terminals?

At the rear of the stove you’ll see terminals to connect either a thermostat wire or a jumper wire. In these pictures you’ll see a thermostat wire connected to the back of my stove and that same wire runs to the thermostat on the wall which controls the stove. The other picture (u-shaped) is a simple jumper wire that would be used in place of a thermostat wire. This is used simply to complete the circuit. Do you have either one of these in place

Attachments

• 03A71653-5DCB-4F5E-A23C-CE4F97AEE684.jpeg
    03A71653-5DCB-4F5E-A23C-CE4F97AEE684.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 605CD063-5266-481F-98B6-D66F2DE8B483.jpeg
    605CD063-5266-481F-98B6-D66F2DE8B483.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 167
The thermostat wires are just screwed down at the two Phillips screws. There is no power at these screws so you can loosen them and stick a paper clip between them to jump the thermostat but if the red call light is staying on, that’s probably not it. Do you have a magnet on your hopper lid that lifts up with a little black rectangle on the left side of the hopper when closed? If so, did you bypass this when you bypassed the vacuum switch? Have you accessed the igniter chamber? It’s the rectangle between the front door in the ash pan. Is that area clean and are both slide plates connected and is the igniter glowing when you try to start it? Also, how does your thermocouple look? Take the ceramic cover off at the fire pot and look for cracks. You can also take the cover off the control board in right side of the hopper to look for a flashing orange light, a red light or a green light, any of which would indicate a bad thermocouple ( the red light and green light only should be on when there is a fire) Honestly it sounds like you have something jammed in your auger or your auger motor is weak. You can take all the pellets out and wiggle the bottom of the auger. If it feels free then it’s probably not jammed and the motor is probably tired. To pull the auger and motor assembly, you take the doghouse off in the hopper and loosen the two nuts on either side of the motor bracket (7/16 or 3/8 I believe). Once those two nuts are off, you can unplug the power plug to the motor and pull the whole assembly out. The motor is held on to the assembly with 4 Phillips screws and an Allen set screw on the shaft. Good luck! Be sure to unplug the stove while messing with connections to avoid shocks.

Reactions: johneh and kappel15
Corkman- thermostat is hooked up just like your picture.

over fire- ok.. just fixed the plates as the bottom one was wonky. We checked for jams and it looks to be good. Plus every time I plug it in it turns 2 1/2 turns. I have done it quite a few times so I feel there isn’t a jam.
Looking at the T/C cover I found a hole at the top. Could this be what is causing the issue? I only see blue lights at start up. How long should I let it run to see if I get another color light?
And I am not getting any heat off the igniter. Could the weak motor cause the ignitor not to heat up? Or thermocouple cover? Sorry for so many questions!! I am appreciative of all the help

The thermocouple probably isn’t working right if it’s burnt a hole in the cover but you can take the cover off to look it over. If your igniter isn’t getting hot and your auger isn’t staying on I would say probably put a new thermocouple and cover on because your next step with multiple issues like that would probably be a board issue.

Reactions: Ssyko and kappel15
Hello
Probably not the Themocouple because it will not stop the auger from turning, I have seen bad thermocouples and the stove still goes through startup and fires up, then if the thermocouple does not sense the heat from the flame it will tell the control box to shut the stove down.
Since you have checked snap disk 2 & 3 I hope, either one will stop power to the auger just like a bad vacuum switch, then from my experience it must be a bad control box or a bad auger motor.
To be sure you could put 120 vac on the auger motor to see if it works. Connect a test cord to the black hot and white neutral wires on the motor,
This year I have replace more Quadrafire auger motors in my area than I did in the last 8 years! Mostly because those stoves were between 10 and 20 years old!
One quick check I always do is look at the back of the motor to see which version it is for approximate age. If you do still have the sticker with the stoves month & year for the stove’s manufacturing date that is much more accurate.
Below are the pics of the motors with oldest version to newest version from left to right.
I just picked up a very old Aladdin Quadrafire CB1200 and I was surprised it has the latest version Auger feed motor with the triangles so that was not my problem. My problem was it fired up fine and then died out because the red & yellow thermocouple wires were reversed when connected to the terminal block! Lol the red wire should be on the right! :)
Anyway
Welcome to the forum and since I think it is a very good stove, you will be able to fix it. Good luck

Attachments

• 2453646D-944B-4F58-84C4-97212D5B8307.jpeg
    2453646D-944B-4F58-84C4-97212D5B8307.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 205
  • ECFA59F2-5159-41F5-990F-1F02D7240554.jpeg
    ECFA59F2-5159-41F5-990F-1F02D7240554.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 256
  • C797B000-3CE8-4410-8B4C-1263CDC91637.jpeg
    C797B000-3CE8-4410-8B4C-1263CDC91637.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 13B7EDCC-B5C7-474C-9A82-205BE8FB68C3.jpeg
    13B7EDCC-B5C7-474C-9A82-205BE8FB68C3.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 204
  • DB44FFBB-76F0-429F-8EEF-BA256B302E0D.jpeg
    DB44FFBB-76F0-429F-8EEF-BA256B302E0D.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 179
you can test the motor without removing from the stove with and old lamp cord.

This is a good way to learn
Here there are experts to help and guide
you through the process.ssyko and Don 2222
are both very well versed in the workings of Pellet stoves
Everyone has to learn somewhere.