Quad CB1200 auger turns twice and then nothing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Exactly, that’s why I finally joined instead of lurking. My fiancé’s dad jokes that I am the pellet stove technician now because I keep fiddling with it after I learn something.
I feel, and I could be totally wrong that my auger is ok and it’s something else. I think I jump tested the snap disks correctly, I used a paper clip. Both snap disks seem to be working as I got the same result when I jumped them.
The stove got super dirty and I found places I didn’t realize needed to be cleaned and once I cleaned it thoroughly is when it stopped feeding.
I’m just perplexed and willing to try and learn anything

Hello
Probably not the Themocouple because it will not stop the auger from turning, I have seen bad thermocouples and the stove still goes through startup and fires up, then if the thermocouple does not sense the heat from the flame it will tell the control box to shut the stove down.
I actually see it quite a bit on quad units running the 704 board. A bad thermocouple can give a varying results: feeding startup but not feeding again, feeding but never leaving stage two and never turning green light or igniter off, never leaving stage three and feeding non stop but never turning igniter on and running a constant red light in board, and finally never or inconsistently feeding. If you unplug a thermocouple on a 704 board unit you should get a flashing amber light and no feed. If you get a hairline crack or partially burnt end on a thermocouple you can get the auger to run sometimes but then it will stop and usually throw the amber light code on the board.

This does not make any sense as on the 1200, the auger is in the hopper, under a metal cover, you have to remove to see it. kap
Right side view with triangle panel still installed. Gotta get creative sometimes kap.

Attachments

• 2432378A-0272-449F-9285-4BDE3FEE6BF1.jpeg
    2432378A-0272-449F-9285-4BDE3FEE6BF1.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 189
I actually see it quite a bit on quad units running the 704 board. A bad thermocouple can give a varying results: feeding startup but not feeding again, feeding but never leaving stage two and never turning green light or igniter off, never leaving stage three and feeding non stop but never turning igniter on and running a constant red light in board, and finally never or inconsistently feeding. If you unplug a thermocouple on a 704 board unit you should get a flashing amber light and no feed. If you get a hairline crack or partially burnt end on a thermocouple you can get the auger to run sometimes but then it will stop and usually throw the amber light code on the board.
I haven’t seen an amber light on the control box, just blue flashes

Clockwise and same direction every time.
Did you ever pull that thermocouple cover off? Should just be a Phillips set screw or sometimes two pinching it in place. If they are really rusty they might need some wd40 to break loose or you might have to use players or vice grips on their heads to get them loose. Then gently remove the ceramic tube and look at the two wires that are twisted together with a little bead of solder on the end. If the end looks burnt up or you see a hairline crack or if you touch it and it breaks, that’s your culprit. Also follow those wires to where they go through the bottom of your firebox into your igniter chamber. Are they missing any of the high temp insulation? It’s not uncommon for a thermocouple that’s in rough shape to quit working after a thorough cleaning if it gets bumped, especially if there’s a hole burn in your protective tube.
Here’s a picture of my thermocouple with the tube off. This is my personal stove and it’s a 2010 CB 1200. See how the end of the thermocouple has turned green from the heat? I replace my cover every 2-4 years as needed but I still will probably only get a couple more years out of this thermocouple because it’s so brittle. It also doesn’t help that I make my 6 year old clean my stove because after working on pellet stoves all day the last thing I want to do is work on my own and she can be pretty rough with that cover.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Live and learn now you know a whole lot more than most
about your stove