Quad CB1200 creaking noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cncpro

Hearth Supporter
Jun 29, 2008
NE Connecticut, USA
Hey everybody,

This year I have a really strange creaking noise in my stove. The stove is running perfectly in spite of the noise so I am not too concerned but I was curious if this could mean something is about to fail or if it's just normal noise...

It sounds sort-of like a really squeaky door being slowly opened...

The noise is sort of intermittent. The noise comes and goes but not necessarily cycling with the auger cycle... In other words it seems to squeak for a while then run quiet for a while... back & forth...

I am guessing that the noise is from pellets being squeezed between the auger and the auger tube...

I removed all the pellets from the whole auger tube and the noise stopped and the auger appeared to be in fine shape from what little I can see of it from inside the hopper...

The only thing different about this year is that I am burning soft wood pellets for the first time (LG Granules) and I am thinking that something in the composition of the pellets makes them more likely to squeak in the auger tube...

Does anybody else have a similar noise with a CB1200 or LG Granules ?

Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.