Quad Isle Royale firebrick replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firedog

Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, N.Y.
I want to replace the fire bricks in my Quadrafire Isle Royale stove with Rutland fire bricks. These bricks are the same size but are heavier than the original Quad bricks. Will I be OK with the Rutland bricks?

Hope you don't mind, but I toned down your all caps thread title a bit. No need to shout, we're right here. :) Dunno if the Isle Royale requires a special brick. All I can tell you is that in my little Century shop stove I've replaced nearly all of the original firebrick with the Rutland replacement bricks over the course of three burning seasons/cycles. The originals were lighter and less durable than the Rutlands, and I broke a lot of them by slamming wood in there and poking around. The Rutlands are heavier and stronger, more durable. You want to be sure, though, because I think there are a few stoves out there that require some sort of proprietary refractory brick in them for whatever reason (probably insulative value). Maybe Jags will weigh in, he burns an Isle Royale and is a pretty dang savvy guy. Rick

The bricks in the IR are a lighter composite and they DO have a different heat sink/shield quality than the Rutlands. The other battle that you may find with the Rutlands are the "special" bricks, such as the one that are cut out for the air tubes in the back of the stove. Playing around with cutting firebrick typically needs special masonry cutters.

Personally, I would stick to the IR bricks. This burn season will be the 8th and when time comes for the replacement, I will order them up. They are more expensive, but I think I will stick with original equipment.

And this is coming from one "Dang savvy guy". %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.