Quad MVAE t-stat question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJohnfromCT

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2012
Danbury, CT
Good morning everybody. I would like a little advice regarding my Quad programmable t-stat. Currently, I only run the stove from 5 PM until 6 AM in the morning every day. Setting is 70*. During the day I let the central heat run. It is also on a programmable t-stat and set to 68* during the day and 65 at night. About 5 days ago, and every night since, the stove quit working in the middle of the night. It posts no error codes but the t-stat shows the temp set to 60* when it should be 68. It will resume working all by itself the next day at 5PM. I'm completely stumped.

Here is what I've done. Double check and verify all settings. Double check my program settings. It had been working flawlessly for weeks prior to this hiccup. Unplug stove to reset. I cleaned the stove recently which also made no difference. Lastly, check wiring at t-stat and stove. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and Happy Holidays.

Ya got me scratching my head on this one. I'll try and do some checking. kap

Doublecheck the programming of the thermostat. Sounds as though the setback time got changed, somehow (perhaps someone in the house was fiddling with the thermostat and accidentally made a change).

Doublecheck the programming of the thermostat. Sounds as though the setback time got changed, somehow (perhaps someone in the house was fiddling with the thermostat and accidentally made a change).

Thank you. Yes, did double check the program, day, date and time. All was correct. No played with the thermostat.

Good morning everybody. I would like a little advice regarding my Quad programmable t-stat. Currently, I only run the stove from 5 PM until 6 AM in the morning every day. Setting is 70*. During the day I let the central heat run. It is also on a programmable t-stat and set to 68* during the day and 65 at night. About 5 days ago, and every night since, the stove quit working in the middle of the night. It posts no error codes but the t-stat shows the temp set to 60* when it should be 68. It will resume working all by itself the next day at 5PM. I'm completely stumped.

Here is what I've done. Double check and verify all settings. Double check my program settings. It had been working flawlessly for weeks prior to this hiccup. Unplug stove to reset. I cleaned the stove recently which also made no difference. Lastly, check wiring at t-stat and stove. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and Happy Holidays.

NEW INFO: As with most programmables, there are three ways to program the thermostat.
1. Full week. Program all seven days the same. This is what I initially did and it worked well for weeks prior to the problem.
2. Program all week days the same and Sat-Sun the same. I did this yesterday and, viola, the stove ran through the night without incident. Went through multiple autoclean and restart cycles. Will need to see if it works each evening as I want.
3. Program each of seven days separately..

Will keep you posted.

I don't think we can jump to that conclusion until it runs for a full 7 days but thank you for the optimism.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. Got sidetracked by an emergency stay in the hospital. All systems seem to be working fine. Thank you for your help and Happy New Year.

Glad it was just the difference of which program to use. Stay warm. kap