Quad Santa Fe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vinelife

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2010
Way Up North Michigan
I've had a Santa Fe now for 10 years. Its a good little stove. I've had to replace both the combustion fan and blower fan in last year due to the loud noises they were making. But that is about it for real repairs. I'm using Pro Pellets and I've noticed that I need to have the feed rate all the way down to get it to burn correctly. If I open it up more it will just fill faster and the fly ash situation can't keep up. While I don't think this is a problem really, I guess it depends on the pellet that I use probably. I keep the stove very clean as I'm good at that. Does any other quad user keep their feed rate all the way down ?? Curious ..

Check the combustion blower and chamber the clean out the vent pipe. Check your door gasket. Ash pan gasket, burn pot gasket. Clean all the holes out in the burn pot.

Reactions: johneh
I do all that regularly...thanks though.

For most quads, the feed rate should be about middle of the slide range, quad uses constant airflow, so you set stove burn rate via fuel input. For all pellets, stove on high should have about 4-6 inches of flame above the burnpot. Medium will about to the top of burnpot or a bit higher, low about half way up burnpot.

I do all that regularly...thanks though.

Ok if you are 100% sure there is no air leaks or ash hiding/restricting air flow through the stove i would look at the replacement combustion blower motor and fan. Is it running at 3000rpm? Is it slowing down as it warms up? Was it an Oem or aftermarket? Only reason i say this is my cb1200 (big brother to yours) i had to run an exhaust damper to slow down my draft.

Last edited:
Ive replaced both fans this year. Might just be the pellets.

It very well could be i have seen a lot of chit pellets out there this year, don’t know why they are so bad. But your stoves proper set up should be done with the stove on high set the flame about 4” above the burn pot (as Stovelark posted) should be a busy bright yellow/white flame
DB089757-DE88-44DE-9650-15B5F165816C.png
around here i service about 11 santa fe’s and 12-14 cb1200’s and 99% of them set properly run with the feed lever open half way or more. I would go buy the pic of the flame i posted and set the stove for that. Was the blowers you replace OEM?

Its not a lazy flame for sure. The pellets seem to burn longer than some. Feeder half way isn't good for the pellets im using.

Mine is closed the majority of the way. If the pellets are on the shorter side, the feed gate will need to be closed some to compensate for the short feeding through easier than longer ones.

FF absolutely right- I burn lignetics an awesome pellet and my feed is about 1/3 open due to the short length of the pellets. My Empress has air control, its barely open for proper flame. Pellets are a big part of the equation, buy quality and less headaches...

Reactions: Vinelife
I've had a Santa Fe now for 10 years. Its a good little stove. I've had to replace both the combustion fan and blower fan in last year due to the loud noises they were making. But that is about it for real repairs. I'm using Pro Pellets and I've noticed that I need to have the feed rate all the way down to get it to burn correctly. If I open it up more it will just fill faster and the fly ash situation can't keep up. While I don't think this is a problem really, I guess it depends on the pellet that I use probably. I keep the stove very clean as I'm good at that. Does any other quad user keep their feed rate all the way down ?? Curious ..
I have the same stove (built 2008) and burn the same pellets. I have the same results. At low speed the mechanical feed in the pellet hopper is at minimum feed for best flame.