Quadra Fire 1200! Convection Blower Fan question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jdcowboy

Sep 1, 2021
Just purchased a used 1200i. I started it up and it ran for 5 to 10 minutes heated up good. But the blower fan did not kick on.
I talked to the previous owner. He indicated it could take longer than 25 min for the convection blower to start up. Is this accurate? That seems like a long time to me. My Mt Vernon starts blowing within 5 to 10 minutes. Just curious what you guys think. I dont want it to overheat and burn the brains up.
Please advise.

Thanks

Jason

From the manual
16. Snap Disc #1 (Convection Blower) 145°F Snap disc #1 is located on the right side of the appliance on the top of the heat exchanger box. There are 2 purple wires connected to it. This snap disc turns the convection blower on and off as needed. Power is always present at snap disc #1.

If you don't have a manual
here's one

Snap discs are cheap too. I think I'd replace it to be safe and maybe get one with a lower cut in temperature. That do wear out over time.

From the manual
16. Snap Disc #1 (Convection Blower) 145°F Snap disc #1 is located on the right side of the appliance on the top of the heat exchanger box. There are 2 purple wires connected to it. This snap disc turns the convection blower on and off as needed. Power is always present at snap disc #1.

If you don't have a manual
here's one
Are you sure you got the right stove? This is for a 1200-B and not a 1200i (insert). My 1200i snap disk is on the left side for the convection fan as you face the stove and not the right. However, my stove has taken as long as 20 mins before the convection fan kicks on. Make sure that if this is not a new stove, you clean near the snap disk between the heat exchanger tubes and the wall where the disk is mounted. It gets loaded with ash which has caused my convection fan to turn on and off during running as it could not heat the snap disk enough to stay on.

I had this happen a couple of times with our 1200i. Replace the snap switch. IIRC, I changed ours out to a lower rating one, like 130º for on, but the same off temp.

Reactions: Ssyko