Quadra Fire 2100 not pushing out enough heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mentz24

Oct 7, 2018
lancaster, pa
bought this stove about a week ago to replace an old schrader that burned through so much wood. Temperature got down to the single digits the last 2 nights and i could not get the house above 64 degrees. wondering if there is something i am doing wrong. Heating right around 1300 sq. feet. installed a new stove pipe, had to go from 6" to 8" in the chimney. house is pretty well insulated. Should the wool like cloth be covering the exhaust pipe out of the top of the stove? Burning red oak wood that is not quite fully seasoned but is pretty dry. its a ranch style home and the stove is on the top floor. It has the blower fan on the back that i have been running the whole time to try and move heat through the house plus a ceiling fan. I have been playing with the dampers in every configuration i can think if. It is a pretty open floor plan. Any answers are helpful. Thanks

IMG_0704.jpg

Red oak that isn't well seasoned is a tough burn. You're probably losing a lot of BTU's up the pipe keeping it firing with the air open while boiling the moisture out. Those are nice size oak splits sitting there, but will need 3 years of seasoning after splitting. Get ahead on your wood supply with a mix of stuff. "Crap" woods for spring and fall (silver maple, Aspen, box elder, pine). These season in 1 summer. Fast seasoning hardwoods like ash and cherry also season in 1 summer and give more heat than the shoulder season woods. Elm also "might" be ready after 1 summer. Birch, sugar maple, locust, & hickory are usually 2 summers. Oaks are generally 3 summers. Ash at 20-25% will burn OK, oak not so much...

Stoves are space heaters. Many of us struggle with getting the heat to move around, especially when it's really cold. How good is your insulation? What's the temperature difference from the stove room to the farthest room? If the biggest struggle is getting warm air down to the farthest end from the stove, put a small fan in the farthest end on low and point it at the floor to push the cold air towards the stove. Cold air is denser than warm air and moves better with the fan creating a loop pulling the warm air back up higher.

I like pine in the cold. When you really need to throw heat it’s nice to burn stuff that turns to heat fast and doesn’t leave ash and coals.