Quadra Fire 3100 ACT. Drywall temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Davidjustice

Nov 17, 2023
Boise, ID
Hey y’all, we recently moved into this rental house with this stove installed originally in the house back in ‘01. Main reason for concern is I read drywall is only rated for 125° now I dunno if that °f or °c but my IR thermometer is reading 127° beside where the piping goes through the ceiling. There is no attic access there as it’s the vaulted part of our living room. Main reason I’m worried is burning down the house, especially with a new born and a toddler. Any tips on how to keep the temp down, as I can’t even stuff it with wood( as I used to back home in AK) with out it heating up like this.

Sorry for the late reply Davidjustice. 125ºC is 257ºF which might be ok for short term exposure, but not long term repeated heat like that from a stove. Drywall is ok near the wood stove up to 160º.

Does the stove have single-wall or double-wall stovepipe connecting it? Do the installation clearances for the stove and for the stovepipe meet or exceed requirements?

Sorry for the late reply Davidjustice. 125ºC is 257ºF which might be ok for short term exposure, but not long term repeated heat like that from a stove. Drywall is ok near the wood stove up to 160º.

Does the stove have single-wall or double-wall stovepipe connecting it? Do the installation clearances for the stove and for the stovepipe meet or exceed requirements?
I believe double, I haven’t checked, I would have assumed so, as we’re renters and the house has been sold a few times, just to double check all my measurements are in °f. And have seen it up to that 127°f and just took water and put out the fire a little bit. Are you saying that up to like 200°f would be okay( for a short period of time)?

If the stove pipe is double-wall then it should be ok.

I was just guessing about what that 125 temperature might have been about. I'd be uncomfortable with wall temps above 160º due to the long term effects of pyrolysis.