Quadra-Fire 7100 Secondary Burn Not Working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GLRanch

Jan 14, 2021
Minnesota
Hello everyone,

I have been running a Quadra-Fire 7100 for the last 10 years with great success, However, this year I noticed the secondary burner tubes are not firing. At first I thought is was due to the batch of boxelder wood I was burning. I then moved on the a batch of two year old seasoned oak. This batch of oak contains a moisture content of 10.5 percent measure by a digital moisture meter.

The only change form the previous year was I had a chimney sweep out in October. I let him know my issue and he returned for an inspection. He disassembled the burner tubes and vacuumed out all the opening. In addition he verified integrity and of the chimney, the tubes were placed back correctly and the baffle board is seated in the proper place with no gap in the back. I also replaced the gasket. I also verified the outside air vents are not blocked on the outside of the house.

I am still getting outside airflow and the fireplace is getting up to temp. I can only achieve this by keeping a gap in the door by having it slightly open. Once up to temp I can close the door and maintain a decent fire with the damper level wide open. Even when up to temp I am not getting a secondary burn form the tubes. This is causing the fire to put out much less heat and is less efficient.

I called the company that I purchased the fireplace from and they were zero help. As you know Quadra-Fire does not assist customers directly so I am stuck.

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

Mark