Quadra-Fire convection fan low cfm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

anaerobe

Jan 22, 2023
OK
Sorry if this has been addressed-I couldn't find anything but if I missed a previous thread I'd be very happy to be directed to it. I inherited a Quadra-Fire Castile (not sure of its age) and had a pro install it. This is my first pellet stove so I have no reference point, but the convection fan seems like it should blow harder, ie more cfm. Specifically:

1) should convection air be coming out of the heat exchanger tubes (I have a horizontal row of 10 tubes)? Best I can tell, the only air flow I can detect is coming from the space(s) above the tubes but from the interior of the tubes. My laser thermometer shows this air in the 270F range.

2) I did take the convection blower off, cleaned old dog hair, dust, etc. from the squirrel cages. A small bit of crud still stuck on the fins-would this make a considerable difference in air flow?

3) The air coming from the front of the stove seems to be coming more from the left side and not so much from the middle and right sides (just above the heat exchanger tubes). Is it possible I have a physical obstruction between convection fan and front of stove blocking air flow? I looked up in there with a flashlight and mirror on the floor when I had the blower off and nothing obvious....no birds nests or anything like that.

Happy to provide any more specifics if it would help with advice. Thanks.