Quadra Fire Cumberland Gap Intake Damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mc1ntosh

Oct 18, 2022
Ontario, NY
Has anyone ever found a way to reduce the minimum air intake position closer to zero on a Quadra Fire Cumberland Gap woodstove? I’ve had the stove 15yrs, it works great but with the air shutter closed I’m certain there’s a lot of air still getting in with the damper in the closed position. Gaskets all are good. I can’t see any access to the damper linkage in this stove. On shoulder days it would be good to shut this down a little more.

The stove is designed to not smolder. Doing so will build up creosote quickly. For shoulder season burning, small hot fires are better and/or just adding a couple splits at a time instead of full loads.

Is the stove on a tall flue system? If so, a key damper in the stovepipe would help.

The flue is pretty high and because we’re so close to Lake Ontario the draft is influenced by high winds. Sometimes the stove runs away and there’s little I can do to calm it down.

I like the idea of installing a flue damper.

Sounds good. That's a nice stove and very good looking. I miss this family of Quad stoves.