Quadra fire expedition II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If any of you have a magnetic stove thermometer, might you try placing it on the door top at the center and see what temps you get with what your consider a good, hot burn. Thank you.

If any of you have a magnetic stove thermometer, might you try placing it on the door top at the center and see what temps you get with what your consider a good, hot burn. Thank you.
I don't have a magnetic thermometer, but I can point my IR gun at any place. Tonight's burn is on the hot side of my comfort zone. Center of glass is 800F. door frame top center is about 420F and right above it on the stove body, one inch below the air vent, it is about 330F. I have the blower on medium.

Ignore reading on the glass. That will not be accurate. 420F on the stove body above the door is a medium, cruising temp, maybe even a bit low if the fire is a peak burn. Uncomfortable would be over 700º at that location.

Ignore reading on the glass. That will not be accurate. 420F on the stove body above the door is a medium, cruising temp, maybe even a bit low if the fire is a peak burn. Uncomfortable would be over 700º at that location.
Glass is fairly close to a black body for IR. Some IR may shine through from active flame and cause the reading to be a bit higher than the actual temp but it is also part of the deal; All I need is a repeatable and reliable indication of the situation inside the firebox.

At least for my stove, the stove body above door cannot compare to a regular free standing stove's stove top. It is somewhat further away from the flue gas path and also affected by the blower in a big way. I have to run the blower for an insert.

About every 3 to 4 days

About every 3 to 4 days
I scoop out ash every morning, but I'm burning 24/7 and that will be pretty much the same until late March. Wood right now is mostly white birch and/or aspen. The last wood load goes in about 8pm. That burns out down to coals about midnight, and I let the remaining coals reduce mostly to ash until I'm up in the morning, about 5am. The house cools down to 50-60 by this time depending on how cold it gets over night.

I then spread the ash over the bottom, scoop out the left and right side, spread remaining ash in the middle again over the bottom, load the stove for the start of the day, and burn until night.

Hey guys,

After burning for a little while I've noticed this blackening on the bottom right corner. Is this normal? I've also attached a picture of the door. Soot tends to build up on the corner of the glass, way more than anywhere else. The door gasket is a little looser in that area, but still holds a dollar bill pretty tight. I don't know how to check the glass gasket.
If you guys think it's an issue, I'll probably have the dealer warranty the gasket, or whatever is wrong with it. I'm still waiting for a new firebrick too, which cracked in transport.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-3768.jpg
    IMG-3768.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG-3861.jpg
    IMG-3861.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 211
Just had an Expedition II installed and chiming in to thank y'all for the good information.

You can add me to the list of folks who is very confused by ACC. In the quick start guide graphic it shows ACC is activated by pressing in on the knob (big black arrow pointed in); further along in the manual it says "To activate: Push back until it stops and then pull forward until it stops." Which is it?

Furthermore, there is zero explanation about what it is ACTUALLY doing. Is it something more than a bit of air on a 20 or 30 minute timer?

@vbu did you call your dealer about that sooty glass?

Thanks all,

Snaffle

You're right, they could provide more detail. Push in all the way, then pull out. You are cocking the spring timer by doing this. The ACC provides extra air via a front channel to the fire. This air supply gradually tapers down as the timer winds down.

Just had an Expedition II installed and chiming in to thank y'all for the good information.

You can add me to the list of folks who is very confused by ACC. In the quick start guide graphic it shows ACC is activated by pressing in on the knob (big black arrow pointed in); further along in the manual it says "To activate: Push back until it stops and then pull forward until it stops." Which is it?

Furthermore, there is zero explanation about what it is ACTUALLY doing. Is it something more than a bit of air on a 20 or 30 minute timer?

@vbu did you call your dealer about that sooty glass?

Thanks all,

Snaffle
I haven’t called him yet.
The ACC is basically an extra air inlet on a timer. To set the timer push it in then pull back out. I wish there was a way to override the timer before the time is up to turn it back off, but there’s no way to do that unfortunately

If you look at the inside of the stove on the steel bar just behind the ash lip you will see several holes in that the bar. When you push the ACC in and pull it out it lets in extra air from the holes across that bar and into the bottom of the fire box. I find it very useful when starting the stove and sometimes when adding a split or two on a reload.

I've had the insert a little over a year now, and finally got around to cleaning/sweeping the chimney for the first time. Used a sooteater, and I think it did a great job. Attached some before and after pictures, along with what I got out. I suspect this is a normal amount? This was my first time sweeping any kind of chimney. It was all very fluffy, and nothing shiny.
There was some crap laying on top of the insulation blanket, I think they used cement on the connection between the insert and liner, which obviously did not hold up, what hadnt fallen yet came out sweeping it lol. I Didn't think cement was required there?

One thing I noticed is that one of their self tappers did not make it through the liner. I don't think it's a big deal, but wanted to make sure? I circled it in the picture.
I had the door taped off with a garbage bag but that turned out to be not necessary, there was enough draft to suck all the crap up and out.
The third picture is what was laying on top of the insulation blanket.

IMG-7896.jpg IMG-7899.jpg IMG-7901.jpg IMG-7902.jpg IMG-7907.jpg 3.jpg

Yeah unfortunately there's no air control, so you can't have it wide open to burn them up quicker.
you mean there is no no way to decrease or increase the combustion air? that dont seem right. Am I missing something?

you mean there is no no way to decrease or increase the combustion air? that dont seem right. Am I missing something?
There are several new stoves with this "feature". Taking the user out of the equation makes it easier to past EPA testing.

Hmmm. I’m not sure I would want a stove that I can’t control the air on.

no you're not missing anything, that's how it is. Only thing you have is the ACC, temporary boost air

like the guy on the left, what the hell is this world coming too?. And folks actually buy that stuff