Which is better, the Kuma Cascade firewood insert or the Quadra-Fire Expedition II firewood insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nave31415

Aug 22, 2023
Oregon
My wife and I live in a 2600 sq. ft. 1931 cape cod style home in Oregon. We are converting our traditional fireplace into a more efficient fireplace insert. It is difficult to keep the house warm (above 65) in the winter without spending a lot on electricity. We are considering the Quadra-Fire Expedition II and Kuma’s Cascade models. Based off of specs, the Kuma appears to be the victor, but it is less aesthetically pleasing. If you have experience with either of these, could you give us your feedback? Advice on our choice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

These are two very different inserts. The Quad is a non-cat with fixed air control and the Kuma is a hybrid using a catalytic convertor after the traditional secondary combustion system to further clean up emissions.

How will the insert be used, occasional fires, mostly nights and weekends, or 24/7 to for primary heating? Between the two, the Kuma is a better unit for full time heating and better user control of the fire. If 24/7 for heating, take a look at the Blaze King Ashford insert for comparison. It is a pure catalytic stove with a nice aesthetic for an older home.

Reactions: Snorton
I have the quadra fire insert, and honestly I would not recommend it. It is a single burn rate insert which means you can not adjust the intake air.

There's been many, many times where the rod that connects the liner to the insert (in the path of the flue gasses) has been glowing red, and there's nothing I can do about it, other than hope that the insert does not melt down.

It appears to be well built though, and other than not being able to control the fire and some noisy fans I really have no complaints, but I would not buy the same insert again.