Quadra Fire Mount Vernon AE stuck in "Shutdown" mode

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevdog1971

Apr 21, 2015
Evergreen, co
I have a 6 year old Mt. Vernon which is about 6 years old. Reasonably well maintained. In the last week, the stove will go through a burn cycle and then get stuck in a "shutdown" mode (that's what the display says) and not fire up again even if the temp drops well below where it is set. I've had some limited success with unplugging the stove for 15-30 seconds and then getting it to start again. Now, that no longer seems to work. I thoroughly cleaned the stove last night and got it to run properly into the early morning, then it got stuck in shutdown mode again. In shutdown mode it just vents slightly even though the stove is stone cold and hasn't been hot for hours. There are no useful messages on the display reflecting any sort of error. I'm pretty capable of replacing components on the stove (ignitors, vacuums switches, auger motors, etc), as you have to be to keep these beasts running. But I am at a loss with this one, any input would be greatly appreciated...

thanks

Not sure of the longevity of the thermocouple but that would be my first place to check. Try searching the threads of the forum for posts by kappel15 ... Quadrafire tech who has walked others through testing the stove.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
You might be having issues with the wall control wires. The white one is the communication wire. Gently lift up on the wall control wires where they are hooked to the stove. The wire fittings are real weak and loose conductivity real easy. Also check connections inside wall control. Last but not least, there is a computer strip inside wall control. Gently press it in a little. And by removing and replacing the wall control cover, you reboot the wall control also. The control board is like the tower on a pc, and the wall control is the keyboard. Also make sure the firepot thermocouple is touching the inside end of the cover or it won't read right.Stay in touch. kap

Last edited:
Reactions: Lake Girl
Well, I figured it out. After checking the wiring to no avail, I decided the last tool I had was to clean out the flu, which is all of about 3 feet long, and hadn't been done since before winter. While it didn't seem particularly dirty, sure enough, after cleaning it, it works!!.. I feel kind of dumb about that. In retrospect, I should clean the flu first. Thanks for all the help and suggestions...

That's why I clean my flue each time I empty my ash pan 3/4 weeks

Glad to see you got it running

Sorry we didn't give the advice to start with the cleaning but figured after 6 years you had a handle on that! Painful to the ego to admit but a cheap fix;) My stove states every 1000 hours; others every ton or two. Guidelines for exhaust cleaning are dependent on stove, exhaust configuration and type/brand of pellets. Different brand of pellets or used the stove more?

Glad you are good to go!

While it didn't seem particularly dirty, sure enough, after cleaning it, it works!!.. I feel kind of dumb about that. In retrospect, I should clean the flu first.

Don't feel bad kevdog - you join a very long list of 'mea culpas' throughout this forum history, (myself included, after I first found this site and then fortunately 'got religion'), who found that cleaning the entire exhaust pathway, beyond just the stove or burn pot, fixed their stove problem or performance issue.

You were a good sport - some folks get 'prickly' sometimes when someone on here responding to a stove problem issue asks the OP (original poster) the question "are you sure your entire stove exhaust system is clean - from the fire box to the termination vent ?" More often than not, 80% of the time I believe is the common figure bantered around here, ash obstruction / air flow issues were where the source of the problem was.

It's also how this time of the year folks can often pick up a good deal on a used pellet stove from someone selling it "because the friggin' thing just wouldn't stay running", then after taking it home, the new owner finds it just needed a thorough cleaning. "To the victors go the spoils" ! :cool:

Hopefully spring has come to CO, as it may finally have begun to arrive here in New England. Better late than never, as I was beginning to think it was going to be never !

Regards, and a belated "welcome to the forum" !

This has me confused as I wouldn't think a dirty flu would cause this. Esp. when it wasn't that dirty per your say so. But, glad you are up and running. Stay warm. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.