Quadra-Fire stove clearances: chimney vs stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cptmoney

Jan 29, 2009
Western Colorado
So we've been burning our new Quadra-Fire 3100 Millennium stove all winter - and LOVING it. Seriously, this is the best investment we've made as a family. This thing is AMAZING!

However, I was recently shuffling things around the stove while it was burning, and decided to put my hand along the wall behind the stove to see what kind of temps she's putting off - and SHAZAAM did that drywall feel hot! I was somewhat taken aback by just how hot the wall felt.

I quickly grabbed my install manual and began taking measurements and photos, thinking I'd ask for all of your opinions.....

The short version of my question is really just this: can the chimney be set in closer than the stove requires? That is, do the chimney specs stand alone for the chimney pipe, and the stove specs stand for the stove?

My chimney is double wall Duravent 6" pipe. Online specs show that it can be installed to within 6" of combustible materials (if I read that correctly), and it's currently at/above 7"...which is within tolerances.

The stove says that it's gotta be further than 6" from the combustible wall - which it must definitely is.

Here's the kicker: the installer kicked the stove pipe BACK towards the wall to allow for adequate room for the ceiling box to fit between the trusses. That's my concern - if the stove were installed with a purely vertical pipe, the chimney pipe would be much further away from the wall...but as it is, it seems closer than it ought to be. It's hottest right at that point where the elbow hits closest to the wall - which makes sense. The heat would be at its highest point right there once it leaves the stove, correct?

According to the specs for both pieces, things are good. According to my hand on the wall - things seen a little tight (and HOT!). HAHA.

Any thoughts on all of this?

Here's a few photos to help explain what my concern is...

What do you all think? What's prudent here? Am I worried over nothing? This is my vey first stove, btw...

a4dcd05a8a27fd28f9dbf5410642a368.jpg 63388589f88c4e20a1df101d9492e171.jpg 0355af133b8f1e6d1bac27146e3e71e2.jpg 0dcee997301d5aa3a466a5b1d59a143d.jpg 45b927b86bd8a31372d19c738a337c09.jpg 5ed10d619a5e7a14d002627f40156c7e.jpg 6df80e7f8d7abb5930ebd1ff4bb1f012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this would help, but my stove pipe (DVL) is hotter at the stove than high up at the junction box. For example: stove top at 530, pipe is 100 degrees cooler at the top. What if you relocated that elbow to just before the ceiling junction box?

c4a78d79c32888fbcfed9397e3496063.jpg e9e224a5aeb4a601b1cfd18f89e74513.jpg 1cc4a6d4dda255c2e1920ca175c9110f.jpg

What does the wall temperature read?

To swap the elbow to the top seems like a great idea! I hadn't thought about that. Makes total sense, honestly. Might look a bit wonky for my taste....but rather that than have a house fire. Haha.

What would that mean for my cleaning? Right now I have a straight shot all the way down the the elbow. Would that elbow right in the middle of my chimney pipe derail my easy-cleaning setup?

As to the actual wall temps, I don't know the actual number. I don't have an infra-red thermometer, but I've ordered one and should have the actual deets here soon. I knew you guys would ask me that! You just beat me to it. I imagine if I can touch it and leave my hand there, it can't be OUTRAGEOUS - just much warmer than I'd like. Warmer than I'm comfortable with, at least.

I am not really sure that the stove is out of compliance necessarily, I just don't want to find out the hard way (i.e., singed drywall!) that I was wrong.

I sure appreciate all of your input so far - THANK YOU.

@cptmoney what does your wall temp read?

The reason I ask is that a wall can feel quite hot at 140F yet still be safe. Big Al's suggestion is good if the wall temp is above about 165º, but I would not change it if the temp is more like 140º.

Reactions: cptmoney
To swap the elbow to the top seems like a great idea! I hadn't thought about that. Makes total sense, honestly.

It’s what we did.

b321555ec5acdff0db91aa41dd520ab7.jpg

As far as cleaning, I simply remove the stove pipe from the thimble and ream it out after doing the chimney first. No biggie.

As far as looks, I like the offset being at the top, personally.

As far as damage to the drywall, when I first installed ours, it was at minimum clearance (maybe a tad under). Within two months the seams in the drywall began to show. This is because the tape and mud along those seams heated and shrank several times.

We are replacing the drywall with cement board and lining it with stone backsplash tiles, which will alleviate any further concerns.

Also, I bought a cheap infrared thermometer on amazon. I consider it a necessity now.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK - I fired her up this eve after being out of town. House was cold, so I let her out to eat, so to speak. Stove top got above 700° according to my thermometer.

I took several temps at the base, middle, and top of the chimney....as well as the wall behind the stove.

The photos sneak for themselves. Wall temps were at 180°, and I expect them to go up a bit more as the stove continues to warm up.

What do you think about that? Pretty spicy, yeah? What's the cutoff point? 165°? Looks like I better make some changes...
1e2e0ace2cb4507849766bb77e01c3cd.jpg 357c635d5450f2a185552f6bca2873e5.jpg 385a0476a07fef7f4d206e8ed781deb0.jpg 6636f882065bdf5f6a9e5ecdd7be5d1a.jpg d69cb8d9e07175b900162b4f228fc73c.jpg 11800bf163b1ab7b98edf9a516f547c5.jpg

Reactions: livetosail
I'll post another pic in an hour or two once she's come fully up to temp...

And for what it's worth, I was trying to be especially diligent about using the thermometer at distances of right around 12-14", so that the readings were reasonably accurate.

770F stove top is pushing things. Maybe try closing down the air sooner so that the flue and stove doesn't get so hot. It looks like the stove is being pushed close to overfire territory if it is going to get hotter.

Based on these readings I'd change the offset to be up top at the ceiling.

Reactions: Bigger_Al
770F stove top is pushing things. Maybe try closing down the air sooner so that the flue and stove doesn't get so hot. It looks like the stove is being pushed close to overfire territory if it is going to get hotter.

Based on these readings I'd change the offset to be up top at the ceiling.
Well that's frustrating and disappointing.

The stove top thermometer that came when we purchased the stove has never even hit 500°. I buy a digital thermometer and come to find out that she's really closer to 800°. Awesome. Only off by 300° or so.

Overfire territory. The one thing that this stuff manufacturer tells you unequivocally NOT to do....and I've been doing it several times a week since the installation. That's always good to hear. Great news there.

I can start closing the air down sooner to keep her under control. That should help, I suppose. Hopefully there's been minimal damage done at this point.

We're almost out of winter here. I imagine another few weeks and we won't be using the stove at all until the fall. Maybe I can limp along until then and get the chimney dealt with before I do damage to the wall or the stove itself.

What temp do you read right next to the stove top thermometer? Is it really off that much?

What temp do you read right next to the stove top thermometer? Is it really off that much?
Can you see this pic?

The stove top thermometer reads right at 400°, and the infra red thermometer shows in the neighborhood of 410°. Guess it's not too far off. Maybe I've chosen a poor placement?
e76689a2f7d9a71b54b653b49d36fc70.jpg

Yes, the thermometer looks like it's reading correctly. That is a cooler location on the stove top. What does it read 3" in front and 6" to the left (or right) of the center of the flue pipe?

Yes, the thermometer looks like it's reading correctly. That is a cooler location on the stove top. What does it read 3" in front and 6" to the left (or right) of the center of the flue pipe?
Roughly 600° just a few inches in front, high 400°s to either side. Stove is cooling down, as I've not added much fuel since the earlier pics.
367a27ad5c627e5074e5bb11317d9312.jpg d118e23101644a6162b8cd37edff32fa.jpg 425eea6a7df6221a9a1019165fbc51dd.jpg

Try moving the thermometer to the first location and run with it there for a few days. See how she rolls.

Give it a try there. You can ignore the colored ranges. They are for when the thermometer is on a single-wall stove pipe. Try to keep peak temp under 700-750º in that location and you should be ok.

I've been burning it all day and have been keeping it right around 500° give or take.

With stove temps like that, the wall hasn't even hit 130°. Maybe I've just been letting her run a little to wild.

My stovetop thermometer is a fairly cheap model. Is there one you guys recommend? This thing often gets stuck and needs a little tapping to help her moving sometimes.

I've been burning it all day and have been keeping it right around 500° give or take.

With stove temps like that, the wall hasn't even hit 130°. Maybe I've just been letting her run a little to wild.

My stovetop thermometer is a fairly cheap model. Is there one you guys recommend? This thing often gets stuck and needs a little tapping to help her moving sometimes.
Condar makes decent stove top thermometers.
http://www.condar.com/Stovetop_Thermometers.html