Quadrafire 1000 HELP PLEASE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cssoccer2001

Feb 4, 2016
Maryland
My stove will start and drop pellets and fires up nicely.... Then after burning for about 5-10 minutes the auger stops dropping pellets and I have to push the reset button on the side and it's does the same cycle all over again but won't stay burning strong. I have the thermostat way up so I know it's not cutting off on its own. Any ideas? It's our main heat source and it's cold

Only three things I can think of. One is, is it getting enough fuel to heat to the next level in time? The fire has to go thru two phases. First it has to reach 200*, for the auger to start feeding. Then it has to reach 600* in time, to maintain a feed. Two, is the thermocouple bad or not seated properly in the cover,and sticking into the firepot enough? To read correctly, the thermocouple should be touching the inside end of the cover. I would make sure it is not full of ash either. you can test thermocouple by either doing a continuity test, or heating the end and seeing if it produces millivolts. Also, if the convection fan isn't coming on,the #2 snap disc will trip, shutting power to auger. Last thing, control box could be bad. kap

Hi,

Is your stove protected by a good surge protector and has your area experienced any storms with lose of power and/or flickering lights? Have you changed pellet brands or type recently or adjusted your pellet feed slide assembly?

Hi

We have 2 of these here at the ranch and have had since 1993.

Does the unit have the metal fire pot ???

Likely it does.

The clay pots did not last all that long.

The one thing that can chase you all over is not always obvious.

The steel fire pots have a nasty habit of cracking in the area where the tapered rim attaches to the center core of the pot, and this crack will generally be right near the thermocouple probe.

When this crack gets large enough the air blowing into the pot through the crack (Area under the pot has forced air from the draft booster fan)

The air leaking in from the crack causes the fire to swirl differently and the probe does not get hot enough.

The flame will lean more towards the other side of the pot.

If the crack is large enough to cause this the only good fix is a new pot.

I welded one pot up and we finished a season with it, but it was only a bandaid fix.

Watch the flame as the stove fires up and burns, if there is a stream of air blowing the flame away from the probe, then there is likely a crack.

If the crack is there its easy to see usually

Here is a piccy I took a few minutes ago
The area where the green "crack here" is where to look.

This side of the pot is where the majority of the high heat is and the pot burns out and cracks

Attachments

• Quadfirepot.JPG
    Quadfirepot.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: kappel15
Status
Not open for further replies.