Quadrafire 1200i Has no Power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bish777

Oct 23, 2013
CT, USA
I have a Quadrafire 1200i, A few days ago I replaced the exhaust fan as it had died and was not triggering the vacuum sensor any more. The stove worked great for about 3 days (Quieter than the old dying fan to). I came home from work this morning and now there is no power to ANYTHING on the unit. When the fan went last time, the control box, reset button light, and igniter all still had power. Now there is no sign of power to anything. I have checked and jumped every snap disk and the vacuum sensor as well as the thermostat. The fuse is fine of course and I even grabbed the old exhaust fan and plugged it back in to see if that would at least get some power, still nothing. Does anyone have any clue what else it could be? And yes, the outlet is fine and I have checked the house breaker. Could the new fan have blown something else in the unit?

(Updated 12/15/16) Final Solution for me was a blown Control Board.

Last edited:
It is the appropriate fan for the stove? Double checked all the wiring harness connections with the stove unplugged. The manual only gives a few possibilities ... fuse, snap #3, control box...

Reactions: bish777
No power is if #3 snap disc trips. Shuts power off to whole stove. If you have power at outlet, do you have power in power cord going to stove? Have you checked connections at end that cord plugs into? Check wire connections on it maybe. But you said you jumped all three switches When you turn the thermostat up, to call for heat, does the red call light come on? If not, I would check tstat wires and connections, and tstat. kap

The fan is specifically advertised for the unit. http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Quadra-Fire-1200-Exhaust-Blower-p/pp7621.htm
All wires are connected and I have already bypassed the thermostat, still nothing, no lights come on no matter what is jumped.

Is there any possiblity that the control box is somehow broken? I already cracked it open since there is no warranty on the old girl. The fuse inside is fine, but I am not great with circuit boards. Would the box being broken somehow shut down all power to the unit?

Last edited:
No power is if #3 snap disc trips. Shuts power off to whole stove. If you have power at outlet, do you have power in power cord going to stove? Have you checked connections at end that cord plugs into? Check wire connections on it maybe. But you said you jumped all three switches When you turn the thermostat up, to call for heat, does the red call light come on? If not, I would check tstat wires and connections, and tstat. kap

Sorry Kap, thought I did. Snap #3 has been checked and jumped, still no power. All connections are plugged in properly. Thermostat bypassed and still no lights / no signs of power to anything. I appreciate the effort from both of you btw, thanks.

Any way you can test that power is at other end of power cord. The stove side? And yes, the control box can be shorted to cause no power. Is there someone with a quad stove you can test it in, or a dealer that has the ability to test control box?

And we can go by the book. Check for power at the black wire from the power cord. If no power check outlet(which you have already done) or replace power cord. If power is present, check for power at the grey wire on the 7 amp fuse holder. If power is present check for power at the grey wire on #3 snap disc. If power is present check for continuity at pin 5(white wire) to power cord. Last is to replace control box. Page 35 of your manual should have schematic print. kap

Power is getting to the stove, just no idea why it stops there and if it is the control box, what caused it to go is the problem... Of course the only changes I have made in the past few days are that motor and a new coupler ceramic cover. I am only narrowing it down to that control box, but if the motor caused the short, then I need to get that changed as well. $$$$$ No one around that has a quadrafire unfortunately, and at this point I would not want to break their control box as well. No sure if anyone around is certified in testing the box, but I am sure that would not be cheap either but it may be my only option.

Yea the schematic is nicely put on a sticker on the hopper lid, mocking me lol. It appears that power is making it to the control box and both fuses are fine.

If you want, you can send your control box to me and I can test it in my stove. Only cost you shipping it to me, and cost to return it, if it is good. As far as the new fan, you may want to retrace your steps in installing it. kap

Thank you Kap for the offer, I may have to take you up on it (sorry for the late reply, just got back from my overnight job). I have been racking my brain, but the install was fairly simple, 6 bolts and 2 power connectors. My main concern now is that the new motor either pulled too much power causing a burn out of something on the board or just it did not regulate electricity properly and shorted it somehow (Not an electrician or a comp tech so I can't be certain). Again I appreciate all the effort and the offer.

It could be something totally different too, that shorted it out. If that is what happened. kap

Only way to troubleshoot other components would be with a power cord direct to the outlet. Ignitors tend to create a lot of headaches with boards when they go. Does that ignitor have an in-line fuse?

No the igniter does not have a fuse, but it is on a separate circut after the board, the exhaust fan should still go on. I even tried disconnecting the igniter and still no power.

Have you tried troubleshooting the blowers, etc by rigging up spade connectors on an electric cord?

My main concern now is that the new motor either pulled too much power causing a burn out of something on the board or just it did not regulate electricity properly and shorted it somehow
Is it possible that something just failed on the board?

I am pretty sure that the board is not working, but I do not know how coincidental it is to blow after having it for years and going three days after the new motor. Worried a second board will have the same fate. Deciding if its worth the gamble.

I would think if the new blower caused the control board to go, it would of went right away. I would double check wiring and make sure nothing is shorting out or got pinched somewhere. kap

I agree unless the blower had a wiring issue that degraded after a few days and shorted. Either that or a crazy coincidence that the blower goes then the board. And I checked as best as I could without a full teardown. Nothing I touched when checking problem solving the issues is loose or frayed.

Last edited:
Bish- You don't say where in CT you are, but I'd happily test your board in our stove at the store if you bring it in. I would think your local dealer would be happy to as well. Sounds like a bad board.

UPDATE:
First off, thank you all for you time and help with all of this.

It ended up being the Control Board. I brought it to a local dealer and he poped it in a floor unit and confirmed it was not working. The boss (aka Mrs. Bish777) figured we would use the stores 18 month 0% finance option and buy a new stove, paying it off with 2 consecutive tax rebates. She convinced me because we are finishing off our basement and have another fireplace down there. So we are paying for installation of a new Harman 52i with the agreement that I will sucker the movers with some under the table cash to move the 1200i to the basement and I will do some masonry work this summer and then we will get a new control box and a liner for it and have the quad downstairs.

For other CT people, I want to speak highly of AfterGlow in Meriden. The guy was helpful and never tried to push anything on me, never even mentioned the expensive colors as he knew price was a factor. He actually suggested the cheapest of the stoves I was considering and knew that I wanted to know everything I could about the stove so I could do maintenance myself so he showed me its different feed system and what to look for with it for the future. They were actually kind of funny because I guess most people do not even know their model numbers when they come in.

Thanks again and I hope that if anyone found this thread during a Google search that it helped them out some.

Glad you figured it out. Hop you have years of good heat from your new stove. Stay warm. kap

Hi bish- glad you got settled out. I work down at Preston Trading Post in Preston, but also know and will confirm the Afterglow folks are pretty good chaps. (I think still you will find most dealers will help out if able) Enjoy your new stove too..

Status
Not open for further replies.