Quadrafire 2100 circa 1991

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

laffingirl

Jan 11, 2016
Calaveras County
I come from the land of people that heat their house with a switch on the wall...Now in the foothills with a wood stove and free wood, in a 1500 sq ft mobile.
I have a Quadrafire 2100 that came with the house. Doesn't seem too popular in this forum. Worked ok, but end of last season put smoke into room, black stuff dripped onto hearth from back corner. Seems to be more involved than other wood stoves. two holes in inside back wall, the baffles at stove ceiling, two handles.... A few questions...

Newer 2100's are called 2100 Millennial...is that same stove, just newer? (no ash drawer model)

Does a ceramic blanket go on top of the baffle thingy ? seems like a really small space

Could something have gotten plugged up? how to clean it out

Hoping to get it working, not ready to replace if I can help it, and not hate on it.

I'm not certain, but I believe this stove has evolved a bit since 1991.

EPA stoves in mobile homes can be a problem because they often have too short flue systems. However, though that may be part of the problem here, this sounds like poorly seasoned wood is being burned and the chimney system is gunked up with creosote. It needs a thorough, professional cleaning. Creosote is very flammable and a chimney fire may be waiting to happen.

I'm not certain, but I believe this stove has evolved a bit since 1991.

EPA stoves in mobile homes can be a problem because they often have too short flue systems. However, though that may be part of the problem here, this sounds like poorly seasoned wood is being burned and the chimney system is gunked up with creosote. It needs a thorough, professional cleaning. Creosote is very flammable and a chimney fire may be waiting to happen.

if you don't know much about this stuff it might be best to call in a chimney sweep money well spent. i have worked in some mobile homes it doesn't take much to go from one end to the other with smoke smells and fire.

Anything that drips out is a sign of the chimney being too cool.
Do you have a manual for this stove?

If it worked ok all last winter there is a possibility the screen at top has become clogged with creosote. (or another obstruction in the exhaust - the screen is the first and most common thing to check first) This, then slows the rising gasses in the chimney flue, allowing the water vapor from combustion to condense in chimney. The wet flue then allows smoke particles to stick forming creosote.
The liquid you see should continue as steam and rise out the chimney without dripping back down.
A yearly cleaning is necessary and normally elevates most problems.

Rather than start a new thread, I am going to diverge a bit from this one. I gather that the early quad 2100 s are a bit primitive compared with the millennium 2100s. I have the latter (about four years old) in my house and I am very happy with it. I’m helping a friend search for a woodstove for her uninsulated cabin where she has a no-name stove that is highly unsatisfactory. I’ve come across a quad 2100 for sale locally. My question is whether The old 2100s are so inferior relative to the millennium 2100s that I should keep looking? TIA.

If the stove is - the right size, in good condition, properly installed, and fed good dry fuel, then it might be fine, especially if the price is right.

If the stove is - the right size, in good condition, properly installed, and fed good dry fuel, then it might be fine, especially if the price is right.
Thanks, begreen. I haven’t seen the stove in person as yet but the images look good. It would be a good fit Space wise. Price is another issue at this point…I’m going to monitor it for a while, the seller is being a little unrealistic at an $800 asking price.