Quadrafire 3100 vs Heatilator Eco-Choice WS18

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekkon

Dec 5, 2014
Hudson Valley
Greetings - I've been tearing through all the pages here, and have a question:

I'm on the cusp of having a wood stove installed (home details below) and have whittled things down to a short list... On that list are the Quadra--fire 3100 Millenium and the Eco-Choice WS18. They're both made by the same company, are essentially the same dimensions, share parts, and have very similar specs.

What's the good word? I know that Quads get a lot of love on here, but from what I can tell, the biggest meaningful difference between the two seems to be the Automatic Combustion Control (ACC) - which many people on here don't really like.

Given the difference in price ($1769 vs. $1199), are there any other reasons to go with the Quad? (Both offer N-S loading up to 18", with 2.0 ft. fireboxes.

(The exact same goes for the bigger brothers - The Quad 4300 and the Eco-Choice WS22...)

Follow up question: What's the story with the step-tops? Quad also offers the 3100 in a step top, but it's way more expensive... Is there any discernible reason to go with a step-top over a flat top, other than aesthetics? (One shop said it is more efficient with the blower, the other said that was nonsense, and that the benefit is more varied cooking surfaces...) Many thanks in advance!

Home details: 1950s ranch, 1300 sq. ft, plus 1100 sq. ft. finished basement where the stove will live. Basement is open to main floor. Endless supply of hardwood: Mostly cherry, locust, oak, and maple, in that order.

They are both from the same parent company. The Heatilator IIRC is just a value version of the Quad. Personally I could pass on the ACC. Step tops offer two heating levels which some like for cooking. They have more surface area on top which could help with heat radiation.

Last edited:
Hi Mekkon, both stoves are basically quad 3100's, but eco choice is a little less robust for steel and weight. Having said that, we sell both, and at that price point, most people go with the WS18. If you want a little stouter stove, check into Osburn and Enviro stoves, espec if you are looking at steel stoves. With the area you are heating too, you will be stretching those stoves. A good compromise is the ws-22, that stove for a couple hundred more is a good value. Step top, flat top, the extra surface area is supposed to radiate a bit more heat, I don't think it matters much, I'd choose either one you like more. The Quad Milleniums years back were a big seller, nowadays they are a bit expensive, albeit still good solid heaters. Good seasoned wood is the answer.

Agree with stovelark, 2400 sqft is a lot of area to heat for a 2 cu ft stove unless your home is really well insulated or the stove is only for supplemental heat. I would go at least for the WS22 or even a 3 cu ft stove. For a large budget stove, the Englander 30NC gets high marks here. The Drolet Myriad or Osburn 2400 would be other stoves to consider.

easy start up is great on the Quads. Sure it does take a little bit of common scene when using it so you don't smother your fire go into over burn. but when it comes to keeping your chimney clean making sure it runs hot wide open for 15 mins is really key. on the coldest nights with a good bed of coals I can very quickly set the stove for the over night with out spending a lot of time doing it. I am not to keen on the Heatilator's specs but keep thickness of steel in mind to this is one case thickness really counts for quality.

Thanks for all the replies thus far!

As for my use - we're not looking to use it as a primary heat source - just to heat the open (finished) basement space. (Probably about 800 sq. ft., with the idea that doing so will also heat the house up a bit too as a bonus. It is not a particularly well-insulated house; I've been tightening it up wherever I can, but there's no getting around it being a workaday 1950s ranch with 2x4 walls!

I also was looking at the WS22 and the Quad 4300, though they seemed a bit overkill, as I'm wary of inadvertently overheating the basement to the point that so that we wouldn't want to be down there... The ceilings are just 7', so I get the sense that it'll heat up fast! I suppose the small-fire-in-a-bigger-stove might be a good way to go after all.

So I'm on the fence about going to a bigger unit. I do also like the Woodstock Soapstone Progress Hybrid -- funky, I know -- even though she's a different beast. We looked into going all-in on a RSF fireplace unit with a central air blower setup, but at $10k+, it's just too much, even if some of that would be made up in oil-savings.

Many modern stoves are 3/16" steel and perform very well.

I am not to keen on the Heatilator's specs but keep thickness of steel in mind to this is one case thickness really counts for quality.

I was interested in this idea of steel thickness as well, and for the life of me I cannot find where Quad or Hearilator/Eco-choice quote their steel thickness. Is that info out there? I wouldn't mind spending the money on the Quad if it's clearly the better unit with significantly thicket steel, but I don't see the need to drop the extra $600+ on the ACC.

Computer aided design has shown stove makers how to strengthen stoves by the way they install secondary burn manifolds and the bends in the stoves. Coming from a stove with a 1/4" stove body and 3/8" inch top in 2006 to one with a 3/16" body and 1/4" top concerned me. I have completely gotten over it.

I know my quad had 1\4" and it doesn't seem like much but that's at least a 16th of the raw materials only plus acc technology talk to a quad and Harman dealer get an education before you buy for. I am a chimney pro and the one word of advice I have is get your chimney inspected by a reputable chimney pro before you buy anything.

I know my quad had 1\4" and it doesn't seem like much but that's at least a 16th of the raw materials only plus acc technology talk to a quad and Harman dealer get an education before you buy for. I am a chimney pro and the one word of advice I have is get your chimney inspected by a reputable chimney pro before you buy anything.

Thanks - I've talked to several local dealers at length, and our Quad guy is pretty straightforward - he likes both the Quads and their Heatilator siblings. Whatever way we go, we're getting a new chimney put in for the stove, so everything from top to bottom will be done by reputable local pros. Generally I'm a DIYer, but not with this stuff!

I worked with the first rsf units. Really awasome and look great installed
Ahh - don't say that! I'd love to go with the RSF setup, but at more than twice the price, it's a whole different ballgame. Plus, it would require us boxing out a corner of one bedroom to get the chimney and central air vent in. If cost were no object, I'd stick a RSF Delta 2 in the corner of the basement and be able to heat the whole house, easy.

http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/delta-2-fireplace

Tempting.

For supplementary heat and if only 800sqft, then the ws18 will do nicely. For the small increase (we sell the ws18 for 1099, the ws22 for 1399), I'd still suggest the ws22. You'll have reserve if needed, will hold 20" pieces of wood and it will just cruise along nicely. You are right, Quads/Ecochoice stoves do burn nicely. Grisu brought up some good stoves too, the Osburns are good value stoves, we sell a lot of 2300 and 2400 models. Englander stoves are a bargain and very well built. All need good dry seasoned wood to perform well.

Last edited:
For supplementary heat and if only 800sqft, then the ws18 will do nicely. For the small increase (we sell the ws18 for 1099, the ws22 for 1399), I'd still suggest the ws22. You'll have reserve if needed, will hold 20" pieces of wood and it will just cruise along nicely. You are right, Quads/Ecochoice stoves do burn nicely. Grisu brought up some good stoves too, the Osburns are good value stoves, we sell a lot of 2300 and 2400 models. Englander stoves are a bargain and very well built. All need good dry seasoned wood to perform well.

Thanks! My local shop is asking $1499 for the WS22 - so a bit more, but maybe there's some wiggle room there. I have noticed that the Englander stoves have been getting lots of recommendations around here. The only place near me that I can find them is Home Depot, and I was warned to stay far away from big-box stores when it comes to wood stoves... I might have to go check them out, and then find some good local sweeps for install quotes.

Hi Mekkon- yeah sounds like MSRP prices they're giving you. I see no reason to avoid Home Depot for a wood stove, they offer a good value for your dollar, I've seen the NC30, its a well made steel stove, Good luck.

The Englander may need more clearance, that's just how it tested out when getting its ul listing with its heat signature. Things can be done to reduce clearances. Many cast iron stoves test out at 15-20 inches away from a combustible, that really doesn't demonstrate its quality of manufacture.
Pennells- don't underestimate an Englander. I've cleaned many of their wood stoves and pellet stoves and have come to respect them. Perhaps the folks at home depot selling them could be more informed, but those stoves aren't their sales peoples' specialty. BTW, the same could be said about a lot of stove shops/chimney sweeps that sells stoves. There's plenty of "Hearth" name stoves that Englander would whup up on too. Let's say all the stoves we all sell have their usefulness if employed properly.

Check out the Englander Madison. Size-wise it is closer to the stoves you are looking at, needs only ember protection in a hearth, and has reasonable clearances especially with the side panels. Here is the manual: https://www.hearth.com/talk/attachments/15-ssw01-pdf.135922/

You may need to place a special order through Home Depot or another Englander dealer to get one as it is not widely available yet. There are a few threads about it; try the forum search. A PM to stoveguy2esw who works for Englander may give you further info. (Although I have not seen him here in a while; anyone has any news about him?)

Check out the Englander Madison. Size-wise it is closer to the stoves you are looking at, needs only ember protection in a hearth, and has reasonable clearances especially with the side panels. Here is the manual: https://www.hearth.com/talk/attachments/15-ssw01-pdf.135922/

You may need to place a special order through Home Depot or another Englander dealer to get one as it is not widely available yet. There are a few threads about it; try the forum search. A PM to stoveguy2esw who works for Englander may give you further info. (Although I have not seen him here in a while; anyone has any news about him?)

Interesting. It sounds like a decent unit; with the "smart stove" feature very similar to the Quad's ACC. I'll have to check it out.There's no mention of it on HD's website, but I did find this page about it:

http://www.amfmenergy.com/50masmheup18.html

It looks a little funky, but that's fine by me, and the big window is nice if it stays reasonably clean. Funny that it's not even on Englander's website yet: http://www.heatredefined.com/englander/stoves/

Status
Not open for further replies.