Hearthstone Soapstone vs Cast-Iron Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went from a VC encore that had some thermostat issues to a hearthstone heritage. I only burned twice with the heritage so far. I just got it two days ago. The VC at the same temp as the Heritage puts off more radiant heat. If you were to put your hand over the same temps on both stoves the cast iron will put off more heat than the soapstone. It just how they retain heat. Steel stoves put off more heat. Steel loses its heat fast, cast iron is a good middle ground and the soap stone will retain heat for hour past cast iron. Its reversed for the start up heat. But honestly it does not take that long to warm up. Some people describe the soapstone as a softer heat. i can agree with that. No regrets with the soap stone here. It looks wonderful. It cost more but it does look great. Also read the online manual for each stove as the ads online show a different heat output than the manuals do. But the peak is the peak, you will not run the stove there. I also found the hearthstone way easier to control than the VC. The VC was finicky.

I went from a VC encore that had some thermostat issues to a hearthstone heritage. I only burned twice with the heritage so far. I just got it two days ago. The VC at the same temp as the Heritage puts off more radiant heat. If you were to put your hand over the same temps on both stoves the cast iron will put off more heat than the soapstone. It just how they retain heat. Steel stoves put off more heat. Steel loses its heat fast, cast iron is a good middle ground and the soap stone will retain heat for hour past cast iron. Its reversed for the start up heat. But honestly it does not take that long to warm up. Some people describe the soapstone as a softer heat. i can agree with that. No regrets with the soap stone here. It looks wonderful. It cost more but it does look great. Also read the online manual for each stove as the ads online show a different heat output than the manuals do. But the peak is the peak, you will not run the stove there. I also found the hearthstone way easier to control than the VC. The VC was finicky.
I'm trying to figure out if my install is sub-optimal, or if i'm just not operating the stove correctly compared to my old routine for the VC vigilant.

I will say it is a very nice looking stove and the view of the fire is a nice change.

The new stove will run differently than the old VC. There will be a short learning curve unless there is a draft issue.

I'm trying to figure out if my install is sub-optimal, or if i'm just not operating the stove correctly compared to my old routine for the VC vigilant.

I will say it is a very nice looking stove and the view of the fire is a nice change.
What stove do you have? And post a pic of what the flue and chimney look like.

What stove do you have? And post a pic of what the flue and chimney look like.
Hearthstone Shelburne

Below are pics of the new stove, the rear exit, the chimney, and the previous VC vigilant setup. Chimney from flue exit up is probably 15+ft

20211116_122424.jpg

20210916_112646.jpg

20210728_164959.jpg

20201029_160236.jpg
20211116_122440.jpg

Reactions: Highbeam
Is the 6" liner insulated?

What is the problem you are having?

Closing this thread. Stove purchase is done. Answering issues for the same problem in two locations is tiresome.

Status
Not open for further replies.