QuadraFire 4300 circa 1999 vs Englander nc30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bg.

Jan 18, 2018
PA
We recently moved into our new home and would like to upgrade our current stove. It’s a Vogelzang Durango that’s missing the secondary burn tubes.

After doing some research on here I was set on the Englander nc30. Recently I’ve been offered an older quadrafire 4300 step top, the label on the back is dated 1999. It hasn’t been used in a few years and has been sitting in a garage.

Size wise I believe the quadrafire is big enough to heat our home, we have 1300sqft of living space on the main floor, and an additional 1000sqft if you include the basement. If we burn the Vogelzang hot it will heat the upstairs, since the quadrafire is similar in size and is built better, I’d imagine the results would be the same. The nc30 would obviously not have any issues.

My only concern is it’s used, dated, and I don’t know how it was cared for in the past. I was told it was used to heat the previous owners whole home. Has anyone else had good experiences with second hand stoves?

Price wise there’s quite a difference. The quadrafire is $200 and the cheapest I’ve seen the nc30 for is $899 + tax.