Quadrafire 5100i wood burning insert initial thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LogSplitta

Jan 31, 2019
Upstate NY
I've been burning in my new Quadrafire insert for about a month now. I got the Quadrafire 5100i because it was the largest insert that I could find that would fit in my existing fireplace. The insert is installed in my partially finished basement. The foundation walls were insulated by with a product called Insofast, which is a rigid foam insulation that has embedded stud which you can then screw drywall to. Anyway, I am enjoying the insert. It has exceeded my expectations with it's ability to comfortably heat my basement. I have not been having a draft issues with it being in my basement. My basement is a walkout basement, I do have other combustion devices down there as well.

There is a bit of a learning curve to achieving optimal burns, as with all EPA stoves. I've learned its important to have enough fuel to get the stove temps up quickly and to start the initial fire up to temp quickly when the stove is cold. I've noticed if you don't get the temp up quickly you are just producing a lot of excessive smoke out the chimney. I do check opacity from my chimney. Secondary burn seems to happen when the internal stove top temp is over 500 degrees. The startup air control on this stove is kind of challenging to use. You have to push the lever in and then pull it out to start the mechanical timer/air control. It can be really hard to pull out. Over all I'm satisfied with the purchase, and am getting my wood ready for next winter. I'm looking to hear any other 5100i owners thoughts on their inserts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: begreen
I started up the fireplace this weekend, and have been burning continually for a few days. This insert is more than adequate for my 650+ sq ft basement. It's also producing enough heat to help keep the upper level a bit warmer. The blower on the stove only uses 100 watts of electricity on high. I turn it down to 80 watts of of consumption as the there is negligible difference in the amount of air it moves when turned all the way up. I have a kill-O-Watt electricity usage monitor. The cost of running the blower is only about 12 cents per day. I get my wood for free. The stove cost almost 5 grand with install, but I guess it'll pay for itself eventually!