Quadrafire 7100 snap disc maybe??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

carolinagirl

Sep 17, 2008
SC
Ok folks, I am hoping someone might have a suggestion for me.

Quadrafire 7100 was professional installed in 2012. Has worked fine up until this year. We have two switches on the wall for the blower. first is over-ride, which should make the blower run regardless of temperature. 2nd switch is on/off for snap disc. We replaced the rheostat a few years ago and put the switch in because we always ran on high anyway. Everything has worked fine.

This year, once in a while (not every time), we can't make the fan run even with the bypass switch in the on position. The 2nd switch also has to be on (which is it), but the blower will not run even if the stove is very, very hot. The blower is easier to turn on when the stove is cool. it seems that once it gets hot, making the blower run is more of a problem.

I am not quite understanding why we can't make the blower run when the bypass switch is on? Seems like flipping that switch should turn the blower on, no matter if the stove is hot or cold. It always worked in past years. what am I missing? I do have a new snap disc on order. thanks

I've got the Heat n' Glo northstar, which shares a lot in common with the Quad 7100. The switch is wired in parallel to the snap disc, so flipping it should work no matter what, and it's ahead of the rheostat that controls the blower speed. I would start by checking both the switch and rheostat are working OK, maybe even replace them to be sure. If its still problematic, you'll want to take out the bottom fire bricks, open the access door in the floor of the stove, and check on your wiring down there. Being harder to start when hot makes me thing a connection is lose or a wire has melted through.

Quadrafire 7100 was professional installed in 2012. Has worked fine up until this year. We have two switches on the wall for the blower. first is over-ride, which should make the blower run regardless of temperature. 2nd switch is on/off for snap disc. We replaced the rheostat a few years ago and put the switch in because we always ran on high anyway. Everything has worked fine.

This year, once in a while (not every time), we can't make the fan run even with the bypass switch in the on position. The 2nd switch also has to be on (which is it), but the blower will not run even if the stove is very, very hot. The blower is easier to turn on when the stove is cool. it seems that once it gets hot, making the blower run is more of a problem.

I am not quite understanding why we can't make the blower run when the bypass switch is on? Seems like flipping that switch should turn the blower on, no matter if the stove is hot or cold. It always worked in past years. what am I missing? I do have a new snap disc on order. thanks

Hello,
I saw your issue with your Quadrafire 7100 and I’m having the same issue. I was wondering if you ever figured out what the problem was and if you fixed the problem. Thanks

I have been having the same issue. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

The problem described sounds more like a failing motor than the snap switch, especially when the blower doesn't run even in manual with the snap switch bypassed. It could have dry bearings. At 8 yrs old however, it's not a bad idea to replace the snap switch with a new one while getting the motor repaired or replaced.

The problem described sounds more like a failing motor than the snap switch, especially when the blower doesn't run even in manual with the snap switch bypassed. It could have dry bearings. At 8 yrs old however, it's not a bad idea to replace the snap switch with a new one while getting the motor repaired or replaced.
Thanks for the reply but, the Quadrafire 7100 has two fans and both have been replaced. The problem is sporadic and the fans will eventually turn on whether it be by the snap disc finally engaging or the manual bypass switch eventually works. I have never replaced the snap disc and I’m not sure if the snap disc, based on the wiring, can affect the manual bypass switch.

The overide switch does bypass the snap disk operation. If the fans are not coming on with the switch in bypass mode then either the bypass switch is bad or there is a bad junction at a wirenut or terminal, or there is a bad wire.