Quadrafire Break-In Burn, Do I need to do it???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosencra38

Jun 17, 2008
West Michigan
I'm just wondering because the dealer who installed it never mentioned anything to me about it (I didn't think to ask them at that moment) and the manual doesn't say anything about doing it either. I've only read posts on here about a break-in burn period and am wondering if I need to do it for my new QuadraFire 4300 Millenium.

They are not usually required for steel stoves. However, I like to do at least one smallish fire to drive any moisture out of the firebrick. Then have at it. The stove is going to smoke a lot for the first few burns as the paint gets baked and oils burn off. Try to do these burns when you can have windows and doors open.

I would still suggest you do some small break in fires as I did with my TL-300 which is another steel stove.
The trick is to cure the paint and drive out the moisture.
Small fires with a gradual increase per fire will give you the best results, it also gives you a chance to check for leaks and learn how to control the stove.

The literature that came with my CFM stove was pretty specific about break-in. It says that the first and second burns should be at about 250F for about 20 minutes, and the third burn should be between 500F & 700F for at least 45 minutes. Between these burns, the stove should be allowed to cool to ambient. What it doesn't say in the paperwork is where this temperature is to be measured. I used a magnetic thermometer on my single wall stovepipe just above the collar and followed these instructions. It stunk up the place real good, set off the smoke alarm once, and I opened doors & windows to ventilate. After that, it was go for throttle up. My Lopi manual wasn't as specific, but the installer recommended pretty much a similar procedure, and that's what I did, to good effect. Rick

Being ever the maverick I just load a steel stove and go. Of course I do the first couple of those burns outside.

Pump it up to at least 550f and then ride pony ride. and the smell will be done with. good tiime of the year to do it is right now with the windows open.

Status
Not open for further replies.