skives19 Posted By skives19, Dec 4, 2018 at 5:39 PM

1. skives19

skives19
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2016
    Loc:
    Michigan
    I have read many threads on here about auger motor noise but my QuadraFire Castile insert auger motor is making a noise that sounds like buzzing. The auger motor was new from January 2017. I just removed the auger assembly two weeks ago and cleaned out the feed chute. When I did that the auger wasn't making any noise for two weeks now.

As I type this I have two things coming to my head. One is the auger slipping and not tightened enough (the set screw) or cause I have the feed rate at its lowest level is the auger hitting that plate?

Any help would be appreciated

2. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    The two things you mention are possible, and cleaning the auger tube could have cleared some fuel that had gotten past drop chute and was starting to bind motor. Hard to diagnose a noise over the internet. kap

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    bob bare likes this.
  3. skives19

skives19
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2016
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Here’s a video of the auger and noise. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

4. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    That's a noise I never heard before. And even hearing it, it is still hard to figure out what it is. If the auger wasn't tight to shaft, you would not have a good fire, if it was slipping. You could tell if it was hitting the bottom of hopper, by looking and seeing if there was any scratches. Still sounds like a motor noise to me. And you say it quit after you pulled auger assy.? kap

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. skives19

skives19
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2016
    Loc:
    Michigan
    It did happen again after I pulled the assy but I thought it might be coming in contact witht the feed rate lever so I opened it some and it stopped. That was two weeks ago and it come back last night. I just now tried to feel around back that while it was running and now it has stopped.

Two things. you can definitely tell it's the auger making the noise cause I see the auger motor move and that's when the sound happens. Second it seems to only happen when the stove hopper is low on pellets.

Is it typical for these auger motors to not last long?

6. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    I have seen some pretty poor quality in parts the last year or two. Lots of new thermocouples that don't work. Quality control must be on vacation. Strange that it does it when hopper is low, compared to any time. Still sounds more motor then anything else. kap

7. skives19

skives19
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2016
    Loc:
    Michigan
    any way to grease or oil the motor up?

8. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    They are a sealed unit, but I know of some that have carefully taken them apart and oiled them. I know of one guy that put a little 3in1 on the small shaft that sticks out of the end of the motor(topside where strap clip is) and it quit making noise. kap

9. skives19

skives19
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2016
    Loc:
    Michigan
    If I were to bench test the motor should it make the noise when doing that if it’s bad?

10. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    If it does yes, but it may only do it under a load too, as pellets in the tube

11. skives19

skives19
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2016
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Noticed two things overnight. One I filled up the hopper pretty full before going to bed and the auger made the noise. Two the stove shut off at around 12:30am cause it hit the temp on the thermostat, then came back on at about 1:10am and no noise. Could the auger noise be from running fr long times on high heat?

12. skives19

skives19
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2016
    Loc:
    Michigan
    and now it's 2:00am and the noise is starting to come back a little after the stove has run for 50 minutes straight.

13. skives19

skives19
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2016
    Loc:
    Michigan
    I have read in other places to empty the hopper of pellets then take a couple handfuls of pellets and mix them with some graphite powder and run them through the stove. Is this safe to try?

14. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    Usually the pellets themselves clean the tube

15. skives19

skives19
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2016
    Loc:
    Michigan
    So you suggest I switch out the auger motor then?

16. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    Did you bench test it yet? Or oil the end of shaft?

17. skives19

skives19
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2016
    Loc:
    Michigan
    No I cleaned the stove completely and that seemed to help. Didn’t notice anything though that would of caused it. Let’s hope it stays silent. I have a feeling though the noise will come back and I’ll be shelling out money for a new motor. The 90 day warranty is to short.

18. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    I agree on the warranty.

19. skives19

skives19
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2016
    Loc:
    Michigan
    As I suspected the auger is making the noise again. Guess I will be ordering a new motor today.

20. skives19

skives19
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2016
    Loc:
    Michigan
    One thought am I missing some part of the stove to clean. Yesterday I took the combustion blower motor off and cleaned that along with the auger assembly and feed chute and the baffle and brick inside the stove.

21. skives19

skives19
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2016
    Loc:
    Michigan
    How do I bench test the auger at home?

22. scagger

scagger
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 4, 2008
    Loc:
    Central MA
    My auger started making noise for intermittently and I figured it was on its way out. I didn't want to screw around so I planned on buying a new auger motor that weekend and sure enough, the motor quit on me that week. Installed a new one and was up and running.

kappel15 likes this.
  23. skives19

skives19
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2016
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Yeah I have one on the way Monday but this current one is only 11 months old so I don’t understand why it would be going already.

24. scagger

scagger
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 4, 2008
    Loc:
    Central MA
    Mine was only a few years old. Who knows. Better to just get it out of the way now before it stops completely.

25. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    I use an old lamp cord and put spade ends on it and plug things in with that. kap