Quadrafire Castille-How to remove rear to top vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

evilgriff

Burning Hunk
Oct 14, 2007
Northern New Jersey
I picked up a second hand Quadrafire Castille and I would like to set it up temporarily in a spare room but it was set up with a vertical chimney and I would need to direct vent it straight out the back. I know it is not the best way of venting but it is quick and easy for this temporary location until we refinish our house. I believe the installers used silicone to hold this part on. How hard can I pull on this part to get it off?

Is the silicone on the outside or do you think they put it on the inside? If on the outside try scraping some of it off first. Not sure what to do if it's inside.

There is nothing on the outside. There was some silicone where you would connect the vertical pipe so I am assuming that it was also applied on the horizontal part attached to the stove. I am just afraid to pull this part off and damage the stove. You would think that someone would design a gasket instead of using a silicone adhesive.

i would think turning the adapter piece after its unbolted would break the seal
its not like its furnace cement :roll:

Point is moot. I should have read the manual. I will need a rear adapter to do this which will add to the cost. I will just buy some shorter pipe, a 90 degree elbow and a horizontal outside vent. Turns out my friend spent 112.00 on that vertical vent adapter. You would think that item would be part of the stove but I guess not.

The only thing I would suggest is to remove the rear panel on your stove to provide full access to the vent pipe and use a hacksaw to cut through the pipe then peel it away somehow. The permanent vent pipe that is attached to the stove is about 1/8" steel.

Steve

You actually don't NEED the rear adaptor, its more of an accessory with the trap door to clean the vent easier. You could install it with just a straight piece of pipe right on the unit.

If you remove any screws from the rear-top adaptor I would then twist and pull on it. Might need two people or a steel rod to get leverage depending on how much silicone they attached it with.

Status
Not open for further replies.