Quadrafire CB1200 - flame starts out huge, then goes to normal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys. Our pellet stove is awesome and really heats up the home now that I have it running somewhat properly.

However, odd thing happens. When I start the stove up, auger starts feeding, and once the pellets ignite, the flame is HUGE! Like big enough it looks dangerous, hitting the top of the baffles inside.

If I let it go, it eventually comes down to a much smaller, normal looking flame. This has me nervous as the flame looks out of control at first, and it's annoying too because it causes the glass to get extremely brown and dirty within minutes.

I understand that the stove automatically bypasses the controls and starts the flame on HIGH for the first 10-15 mins. However, I keep my stove on the HIGH setting and the flame still gets smaller. I've adjusted the auger feed all over the place with no help. If I lower it to the extreme, the flame still starts out humongous and then after 5 or 10 minutes goes down to almost nothing. Adjusting the feed rate doesn't seem to affect the initial flame.

The way I've gotten around this for now is just babysitting the stove when I first start. Once the pellets ignite and the flame grows too large, I open the hopper to stop the auger from feeding (sensor on lid stops the feed if open). Once the flame dies down to a normal size, I close the hopper, allowing it to feed normally again, and from then on out the flame is consistent and perfect for hours on end.

Any ideas here? I'm not interested in calling in a tech or spending a crazy amount of time and money on this, as I only use the pellet stove a few times a week and don't mind the babysitting for the time being, but if it's something simple I'd love to fix it. Thanks everyone for the help

I’m not familiar with your exact stove but it sounds normal. On startup the pot fills to a point and ignites. Then that mass of pellets burns down and eventually normal feed takes over. It does burn pretty strong at first but you’re also starting with a cool stove.

I’m not familiar with your exact stove but it sounds normal. On startup the pot fills to a point and ignites. Then that mass of pellets burns down and eventually normal feed takes over. It does burn pretty strong at first but you’re also starting with a cool stove.

Thanks for letting me know. It just seemed so gigantic. I'll try to get a photo next time.

What is your control box set on? It should be 1. If it is 2, that is an extra 10% fuel. And as said, there is a larger flame usually at startup. kap

What is your control box set on? It should be 1. If it is 2, that is an extra 10% fuel. And as said, there is a larger flame usually at startup. kap
What do you mean exactly? Is there a control on the inside of the control box? Cover on mine, I can look and see

There is a dial on the side of the control box, with a V notch, with the number in it. And always remember to unplug the stove, before removing or installing a control box, or you run the risk of toasting it. kap

There is a dial on the side of the control box, with a V notch, with the number in it. And always remember to unplug the stove, before removing or installing a control box, or you run the risk of toasting it. kap

Thanks. I just checked and it is in fact set at 1.

I had the same problem with my Quad. Then one day my wife mentioned that the thermostat was "clicking" a lot. What I found was that the thermostat would call for heat and pellets would drop to ignite. Than within seconds the thermostat would tell the stove it was at temperature and not to ignite. This cycle would go on for a couple of minutes. When the thermostat finally let the stove ignite the burn pot was 3/4 full and burned with a scary huge flame. I watched this happen a few times, replaced the thermostat and haven't had a problem since.

I had the same problem with my Quad. Then one day my wife mentioned that the thermostat was "clicking" a lot. What I found was that the thermostat would call for heat and pellets would drop to ignite. Than within seconds the thermostat would tell the stove it was at temperature and not to ignite. This cycle would go on for a couple of minutes. When the thermostat finally let the stove ignite the burn pot was 3/4 full and burned with a scary huge flame. I watched this happen a few times, replaced the thermostat and haven't had a problem since.
Thanks for the tip! I actually ruled out the tstat unfortunately.

Here's a photo of initial flame

That’s normal.

Reactions: kappel15
That’s normal.

Really? The flame starts to even curve over the top baffle and looks as though it's entering into the auger where the pellets feed out of! This is normal? It goes to a normal size within 15 minutes but those first 15 minutes are scary, and put a brown film over the glass.

pg 23 of the manual.

E. Fire Characteristics A properly adjusted fire with the heat output control switch set on “high” has a short active flame pattern that extends out of the firepot approximately 4 to 6 inches (102 to 152mm). If the fire has tall flames with black tails and seems somewhat lazy, the feed rate will need to be reduced. This is done by sliding the fuel adjustment control rod down, which will reduce the feed. If the fire is not 4 to 6 inches (102 to 152mm) tall, slide the fuel adjustment control rod up to increase the feed. A medium and low setting will give a shorter flame. The flame will rise and fall somewhat. This is normal.

Reactions: Washed-Up
pg 23 of the manual.

E. Fire Characteristics A properly adjusted fire with the heat output control switch set on “high” has a short active flame pattern that extends out of the firepot approximately 4 to 6 inches (102 to 152mm). If the fire has tall flames with black tails and seems somewhat lazy, the feed rate will need to be reduced. This is done by sliding the fuel adjustment control rod down, which will reduce the feed. If the fire is not 4 to 6 inches (102 to 152mm) tall, slide the fuel adjustment control rod up to increase the feed. A medium and low setting will give a shorter flame. The flame will rise and fall somewhat. This is normal.

I understand that. I have adjusted the feed rate. However, regardless of adjustment, the flame starts out rather large. Probably 8 inches out of firebox. Then after 10 minutes or so it lessens, depending on how I set the feed rate. Adjusting feed rate does not effect the initial flame.

It because the stove is in start up mode. If you set tne flame per the manuals instructions. A large flame is normal. After 12 min it will go into run mode and the feed will be set buy the high med or low buttons and the feed gate in the hopper. That's the way they work. Mine has worked that way for 19 yrs.

Okay I see. So even if I have the switch at HIGH setting, the flame will be larger during the first 10 min than it will be after? Just want to be clear

Correct.

Okay thank you for your insight. I got a more representative photo of the initial flame last night. So alarming! Can you take a look and just let me know one last time, this is normal? I'll take your word. Thanks again. See below

If it calms down in a few minutes, yes. Thats normal. If mine wasn’t in retirement i would fire it up just so you could see it.

If it calms down in a few minutes, yes. Thats normal. If mine wasn’t in retirement i would fire it up just so you could see it.

It calms down in 10 to 15 minutes. Sound about right? I appreciate your input bud