quadrafire classic bay 1200- exhaust blower motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmayo99

Oct 2, 2014
seattle
I have a quadrafire classic bay 1200 pellet stove and the exhaust blower motor has become very noisy.The parts list number is Blower, Combustion/Exhaust 812-33 81. The local dealer wants $ 349.00 for a new one which seems very high to me.I've seen many alternative replacement motors on the internet for much less.I would like a very quiet motor that will last a long time. Does anyone know of a very good one? Please give me enough information that I can use to buy a motor. Thank you

The blower might be savable. Take out the blower and clean it really well. Get all dust and gunk off all the blades. Then get some 3n1 oil into the bearing by putting a few drops around the shaft and let it soak in or consider drilling a small hole into the felt that surrounds the bearing so that it can be oiled. If you do this put in about 10 drops of oil per bearing. Reinstall and see if it quiets down.

If replacing, many of the parts for this stove can be found at www.grainger.com including the blowers. Try to cross-reference the factory blower. Then if there are multiple bearing options select one that has sealed ball bearings.

Sounds like the fan might heading south. Doing the above will prolong the inevitable, but I would be looking for a backup. kap

Reactions: tjnamtiw
3381 is the entire blower assembly! You only, at worst, need the motor. Usually it would come with the impeller but you sure don't need the housing! Look for just the motor and then have someone with a little mechanical ability take the old one apart and replace the two bearings which are cheap as heck from Grainger or McMaster-Carr. Then you have a spare. Or just be down for a day and replace the bearings, period. If you search, you'll find plenty of info here including the size of the bearings, which probably are the same size as skateboard bearings.

glad to hear you put new bearings in the old one! Care to share stock number and source?

Sorry, I just removed it gave it a good cleaning and put 3 & 1 oil in the bearing areas.I thought I could for sure use it for a month or two while I review the motors for sale.Mean while I will order the supplies to rebuild this old one to have a emergency spare.The removeal and cleaning went smooth and it sounds better for now.

Hey dmayo-

I ordered a exhaust blower from Jason Munson and it works great. Much quieter than the older one I had on my cb1200i. I'm not technical AT ALL and he was great with helping me figure out how to install it. I did have to drill some new hikes to get it lined up but it works great. I just ordered an auger motor from him too and it was a pretty easy install. Definitely worth it tips your looking to save money and get good help!

Does anyone know if a Greenfan model will fit the Quadrafire 1200i exhaust or convection fan?

Thanks!!
AR

3381 is the entire blower assembly! You only, at worst, need the motor. Usually it would come with the impeller but you sure don't need the housing! Look for just the motor and then have someone with a little mechanical ability take the old one apart and replace the two bearings which are cheap as heck from Grainger or McMaster-Carr. Then you have a spare. Or just be down for a day and replace the bearings, period. If you search, you'll find plenty of info here including the size of the bearings, which probably are the same size as skateboard bearings.
They usually ship em like that cause the housing protects the motor and fins etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.