Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 Generic Snap Switch change over!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I found a Quadrafire Classic Bay to fix up and for short money it really needs alot of work!

So I got a new door gasket and then found the convection blower does not turn off. That means snap disc 1 the low limit switch is stuck closed. Since these switches are not the standard 3/4 inch size my delemer is should I pay the extra bucks and get the simple to replace OEM switch that just slides into the bracket welded on to the side of the heat exchanger behind the right side panel!! Heck NO, Besides saving some money I want to be able to put in a close on rise switch of my choosing in case I do not like what temps the room blower turns on and off on!!!!

So I ordered up 2 - $5 switches from Pex Supply with brackets! Half the price of the OEM switch! Now I have another switch to fix a stove and the experience in case it does have a non generic design!!

3/4" Snap Disc Fan Control, Cut-In- 120 Degrees F, Cut-Out - 110 Degrees F
http://www.pexsupply.com/White-Rodg...20-Degrees-F-Cut-Out-110-Degrees-F-14692000-p

Anyway, I like the room blower coming on at 120 degrees, that is certainly warm enough for me!!!
Why wait till 145 Degrees? Many stoves do come on at 120 Deg F!!

The tolarance of the spec in the Owner's manual is not stated. So that could turn on at 120. It would have to be tested but since it is not working that cannot be done!
From Owners Manual Page Page 37
Snap Disc #1 (Convection Blower) 145°F
Snap disc #1 is located on the right side of the appliance on
the top of the heat exchanger box. There are 2 purple wires
connected to it. This snap disc turns the convection blower
on and off as needed. Power is always present at snap disc
#1.

So now for the install.
It is a little tricky but I drilled 2 holes into the heat exhanger plenum and not into the heat tube! That was tricky.
Then in my cabinet of screws and washers and lock washers I got a real short phillips head screw and mounted the bracket right to the left of Disc 1 so the wires would reach the new switch. Yes, I checked they would reach before I drilled the holes!!

Then using the mounting screws that came with the bracket just mounted the new snap disc and connected the wires. Then removed the broken OEM switch!! Not really that hard. Now if it goes again, any generic switch like the 3/4" White Rogers will work!!

See pics below:
1st pic - Original config of Disc1 and Disc 2
2nd pic - New Bracket next to Disc 1 with new switch - Wires being transferred.
3rd pic - Old OEM Switch removed but bracke and screw still in place so a New OEM switch could be used in the future still!!

Attachments

• CB1200SnapDiscs1SC.jpg
    CB1200SnapDiscs1SC.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,147
  • CB1200SnapDiscs2sc.jpg
    CB1200SnapDiscs2sc.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 974
  • CB1200SnapDiscs3sc.jpg
    CB1200SnapDiscs3sc.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 617
Did you add any High temp silicone or cement to the screws?

Did you get it going yet?

Waiting to see how you like it compared to the Pel Pro.

DexterDay said:
Did you add any High temp silicone or cement to the screws?

Did you get it going yet?

Waiting to see how you like it compared to the Pel Pro.

Hi Ken

No need really for silicone since I used Lock Washers. Still not going yet. Needs alot more work. I cannot wait to get it going though! My customer on the Pelpro put in the updated control panel and it works like a brand new stove now!!
See >> https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/89266/

Hi Don, you didn't want to get an adjustable one like B-Mod and I got from Grainger? We dial ours in to turn on around 95 and off at about 80. That way you suck every possible btu out of the stove.

Good luck on the refurb!

Reactions: VintageGal
tjnamtiw said:
Hi Don, you didn't want to get an adjustable one like B-Mod and I got from Grainger? We dial ours in to turn on around 95 and off at about 80. That way you suck every possible btu out of the stove.

Good luck on the refurb!

Interesting, I did not know you could turn it down that low. Good Idea. 95 Deg F is still warm.

Well now that it can fit the generic switch, I will consider that. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.