QuadraFire Classic Bay 1200 troubleshooting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mythirdgen

Sep 4, 2017
Theresa, NY
So I just had a brand new stove installed a few days ago. They put 1 bag of pellets in it to make sure it worked. I'm supposed to pull the fire pot cleaning rod daily. (As a first time stove owner I didn't really know how far it was supposed to pull out.) I've been doing it but today I decide to take a look at how it works from underneath with the ash pan out. I notice that the trap doesn't even move. The rod only pulls out 1/4" which seemed weird but I don't know any better. Any idea what the issue is?

Brand new stove with 1 bag through it.
Vacuumed out the few pellets that were in the pot.
Is there any type of safety that could be engaged if a door is open or something along those lines?
Is there a safety catch for transporting it that the installers didn't remove?

I just can't imagine it being creosote after only 1 bag on a brand new stove.

You can get build up on the bottom of the trap door which will make it very hard to pull. Usually takes more then one bag though unless your burning really bad. Put your head in there and see if there is any build up. You can also take off the front panel off there are two screws ( no gaskets ) and take a look at it closer cant see much from looking at it with the ash pan out.

If the trap door is open youll have a really lousy burn its basically acts as a bad air leak.

You can get build up on the bottom of the trap door which will make it very hard to pull. Usually takes more then one bag though unless your burning really bad. Put your head in there and see if there is any build up. You can also take off the front panel off there are two screws ( no gaskets ) and take a look at it closer cant see much from looking at it with the ash pan out.

If the trap door is open youll have a really lousy burn its basically acts as a bad air leak.

Yup. Top of the trap already had buildup on it. I'm not sure what kind of pellets they put in there but that was very surprising. Just had to special order some Curran Softwood pellets that I've read are good in a Classic Bay 1200. Until they come in I'm gonna have to deal with a few bags of their blend which have gotten mixed reviews. Hope the same thing doesn't happen with these babies. Just took some awkward chiseling with a flathead screwdriver to get it freed it up. Thanks for the reply.

Is the trap door closing all the way? Something seems amiss in your burn or your pellets are bad. I could throw rocks in my classic bay and they would burn. Well not quite but. You might try lowering the feed rate. I sometimes would get build up on the trap door if my feed rate was to high.

I would have to scrap the bottom of the trap door maybe once a week if the pellets were crappy.