Quadrafire Classic Bay, No Call Light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jjk454ss

Oct 8, 2013
Michigan
I do not use a thermostat, I just have an on off switch in its place. Earlier today when I left I flipped the switch off, and I noticed it sounded like a fan or something was running that normally isn't. The stove had just run out of pellets so it was shutting down anyway. I definitely noticed something sounded different, but I didn't think much of it. When I got home I filled the hopper, flipped the switch on and I get nothing. No noise, no red call light, just nothing. I'm not even sure where to start. Any ideas for me?

I do not use a thermostat, I just have an on off switch in its place. Earlier today when I left I flipped the switch off, and I noticed it sounded like a fan or something was running that normally isn't. The stove had just run out of pellets so it was shutting down anyway. I definitely noticed something sounded different, but I didn't think much of it. When I got home I filled the hopper, flipped the switch on and I get nothing. No noise, no red call light, just nothing. I'm not even sure where to start. Any ideas for me?
The first thing I would check is your switch and the wires going to your switch.
Also check the 2 wires in the back of the stove to make sure they are making good contact with the T-Stat screw terminals.

The first thing I would check is your switch and the wires going to your switch.
Also check the 2 wires in the back of the stove to make sure they are making good contact with the T-Stat screw terminals.

Thanks for the quick reply. Connections definitely appear OK, I did not take them loose and redo them yet, but they definitely appear fine. I also unplugged the stove for a while and plugged it back in and get nothing. I definitely think something happened earlier. Normally when the stove shuts off the blower motor runs for a while and then it shuts off, when I flipped the switch earlier the blower motor shut off and something quieter was still running, something that I normally don't hear after the blower motor shuts off

Thanks for the quick reply. Connections definitely appear OK, I did not take them loose and redo them yet, but they definitely appear fine. I also unplugged the stove for a while and plugged it back in and get nothing. I definitely think something happened earlier. Normally when the stove shuts off the blower motor runs for a while and then it shuts off, when I flipped the switch earlier the blower motor shut off and something quieter was still running, something that I normally don't hear after the blower motor shuts off
Ok
I would check the AC cord to assure that is not loose on the back of the stove. Then check the fuse on the inside near the control box. You may have to take the inside panel off to get to it.

Last edited:
Ok
I would check the AC cord to assure that is not loose on the back of the stove. Then check the fuse on the inside near the control box.

The AC cord is plugged in good,seems like a solid connection. I hadn't checked the fuse though. But I just grabbed my meter and the fuse is good.

In the manual it shows a fuse before snap disc number three, is this the fuse on the control box? I'm thinking there's another fuse somewhere

Attachments

• IMG_0656.PNG
    IMG_0656.PNG
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,038
The AC cord is plugged in good,seems like a solid connection. I hadn't checked the fuse though. But I just grabbed my meter and the fuse is good.
Next after unplugging the stove, remove the control box and clean the contacts and plug it back in

Reactions: kappel15
Next after unplugging the stove, remove the control box and clean the contacts and plug it back in

I pulled the control box. The contacts look like brand-new, but should I clean them with a little isopropyl alcohol or something? Do I try to clean the contacts on the stove? Or just the box?

Something else that might make a difference, might not. I just noticed that on the back of the AC connector on the stove that the ground wire was unplugged. I don't know if that just happened, or if it's been that way for a long time.

Ground wire should be connected!
You can just plug the box back in

Reactions: kappel15
Try jumping the #3 snap disc wires together, and then see if you have power. #3 shuts down power to whole stove if tripped, or goes bad, If still nothing, do you know of someone with a Quad stove you can try your control box in, or a dealer that can test it for you? Only things left if toggle switch wires are good. And always make sure to unplug stove before removing or installing a control board. kap

Reactions: jjk454ss
Try jumping the #3 snap disc wires together, and then see if you have power. #3 shuts down power to whole stove if tripped, or goes bad, If still nothing, do you know of someone with a Quad stove you can try your control box in, or a dealer that can test it for you? Only things left if toggle switch wires are good. And always make sure to unplug stove before removing or installing a control board. kap

Thank you. I find the diagram, but where exactly on the stove is the snap disc 3? Is it on the left side? I am not home, but I think there is 1 on the left and 2 on the right?

I think my dealer may test it for me, if this doesn't work I'll have to go to them on Friday.

Thanks again everyone

It should be on the auger tube. You may have to remove auger motor cover to access it. And some do have a reset button on them. fyi. kap

To access snap disk number three, do I have to empty the hopper, and take out the auger through the top? I can't find anything online about how to get at it.

Just take cover off top of auger. Don't have to take auger out. Shouldn't have to empty hopper for this. Just enough to expose auger motor cover. Do some snooping from left side of stove with a flashlight to see what you can see. kap

Did you check for power at the outlet your plugging into?

Reactions: jjk454ss
Did you check for power at the outlet your plugging into?

Sorry. Didn't see this reply. But yes, I did. Thanks

I actually just got home from the dealer, they gave me a new board to test and it fired right up. So now I just have to call them and find out how much this new board is going to cost me:(

I spoke too soon. When I plugged in the new computer it fired up and it burned the the pellets I had dropped into the burn pot. But I turned it off because it's a mild day and I was leaving anyway, but I got home tonight and the stove still doesn't work properly. It's not feeding pellets. I primed the pot with a handful of pellets a couple times and I've hit the reset button several times, I never hear it dropping any pellets like normal. When I had it all apart I did vacuum out the auger tube and everything to clean it, but I'm sure I've primed it and reset it enough times that should be feeding pellets by now.

Is this possibly the new computer is bad? Or did I do something else when I was trying to fix the last issue to cause a new one? The thermocouple is in all the way. I have adjusted the feed rate up just in case that was too low.

When it is calling for heat, is the auger turning? Remember you only have 98 seconds for first initial feed, before auger would stop. kap

When it is calling for heat, is the auger turning? Remember you only have 98 seconds for first initial feed, before auger would stop. kap

It doesn't appear to be, the hopper is full of pellets so I can't see. I will empty the hopper again and try to watch the auger to see. Thanks

Auger will not turn if hopper is empty. You don't need to empty it all the way. Just enough to expose auger motor. You can also see it from left side with a flashlight, so you don't have to empty anything. kap

Auger will not turn if hopper is empty. You don't need to empty it all the way. Just enough to expose auger motor. You can also see it from left side with a flashlight, so you don't have to empty anything. kap

Great, thanks