Quadrafire Classic Bay, No Call Light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I took the side panels off and checked, it appears that the auger motor is not turning
Ok
Could be a bad vacuum switch or a bad high limit switch but you can take the wires off each one and connect them together and bypass it to see if the auger will turn. Be very careful not to touch the stove body with these wires!

Reactions: jjk454ss
Ok
Could be a bad vacuum switch or a bad high limit switch but you can take the wires off each one and connect them together and bypass it to see if the auger will turn. Be very careful not to touch the stove body with these wires!

Or the vac line is clogged. Pull it off at the auger and switch then blow it out. Also make sure the auger is not clogged. The vac switch, you want to suck it out and not blow it in. I get a mouth full of pellet crap every time.. Good for fiber, bad for taste. So far DF taste the best.

Thanks again for all the help. I have now jumpered all three snap discs, and the vacuum switch. I have cleaned out the auger, besides vacuuming it out I don't know how to tell if it's jammed. Should I be able to turn it by hand by reaching down where the pellets feed in?

You shouldn't be able to turn the auger very easily. Best way is to pull it out, plus this lets you check for jams at top of auger. kap

You shouldn't be able to turn the auger very easily. Best way is to pull it out, plus this lets you check for jams at top of auger. kap

I thought the auger completely out, it does not turn, even by hand. There is power going to it, I don't know how many volts I only checked with a noncontact tester. I'm thinking I need a new auger motor, is this my next step?

It would seem to be the case if there is power to it, and it is not turning. Not even by hand. And I am guessing that things were still jumped?

Reactions: jjk454ss
It would seem to be the case if there is power to it, and it is not turning. Not even by hand. And I am guessing that things were still jumped?

I jumped everything one at a time, so nothing is jump now. I kind of thought if I jumped it and it still didn't work that wasn't the problem. While the auger is out but still plugged in should I jump each snap disc again, and the vacuum switch?

No. Got ahead of myself there. If there is power to auger, things don't need to be jumped as they are allowing power to be passed to auger motor. kap

No. Got ahead of myself there. If there is power to auger, things don't need to be jumped as they are allowing power to be passed to auger motor. kap

Thanks again. I guess this week and I'll pick up a new auger motor and hope that is the final issue. I wonder what happened at the computer and the auger motor would go bad at the same time?

Good question. One none of us can answer. kap

Let us know what happens when you replace it. I'm a sucker for a happy ending.

Let us know what happens when you replace it. I'm a sucker for a happy ending.

Will do. I'm hoping I can find the motor in stock later this week so I don't have to order it. But I'll definitely post my results. Thanks again for all the help

One thing you could try is hooking auger to power source outside stove. Use an old lamp cord or some such, and put spade connectors on it.

Reactions: Peterfield
I am in need of more help, surprise surprise :). So my auger motor is fine, I tested it in a different stove and it works just fine. I picked up a new board(2nd new one), and a new upper limit snap disc. I still cannot get the auger motor to turn.

I am in need of more help, surprise surprise :). So my auger motor is fine, I tested it in a different stove and it works just fine. I picked up a new board(2nd new one), and a new upper limit snap disc. I still cannot get the auger motor to turn.

I assume you mean the motor will not turn in the stove but will outside the stove. I assume nothing on the feed spring assembly is obstructed in some way. As such, based on those assumptions, before the auger will turn in the stove in the "order of operations" according to my handy dandy chat is the vacuum switch closes. I know at some point you jumped the switch or did you? This is a bit confusing in the post above.

Others things to check according to the chart is: Vacuum switch, vacuum hose (a hole or a break maybe where it plugs in on the nipple?), vent or exchange blockage, or door seal issues.

Been a while since I have seen these posted so here they are for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• Pellet Stove Cycle.jpeg
    Pellet Stove Cycle.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Pellet Stove Cycle 2.jpeg
    Pellet Stove Cycle 2.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I assume you mean the motor will not turn in the stove but will outside the stove. I assume nothing on the feed spring assembly is obstructed in some way. As such, based on those assumptions, before the auger will turn in the stove in the "order of operations" according to my handy dandy chat is the vacuum switch closes. I know at some point you jumped the switch or did you? This is a bit confusing in the post above.

Others things to check according to the chart is: Vacuum switch, vacuum hose (a hole or a break maybe where it plugs in on the nipple?), vent or exchange blockage, or door seal issues.

Been a while since I have seen these posted so here they are for your viewing pleasure.

The auger motor will not turn in my stove, but I plugged it into another stove at the store and it worked. I did jump the vacuum switch and it still did not work. I replaced snap disc number three, The representative at the store thought that maybe jumping that one would not work. But it still does not turn the auger. I think now that I have the auger motor out of the store I will try to jump the vacuum switch again and see if that works.

A jumpered the vacuum switch again just to make sure. Auger motor still does not turn. Everything appears to be working properly except the auger motor, but the auger motor works in another stove, so I know the motor itself is not bad. What voltage should be going to the auger motor? I can test those connections to make sure it has the proper power to it I guess. I'm really at a loss as to what the issue is now.

With the vacuum switch jumpered, the auger motor does not need to be installed, correct? Because the testing I'm doing now I have the auger motor out of the stove, but plugged in

A jumpered the vacuum switch again just to make sure. Auger motor still does not turn. Everything appears to be working properly except the auger motor, but the auger motor works in another stove, so I know the motor itself is not bad. What voltage should be going to the auger motor? I can test those connections to make sure it has the proper power to it I guess. I'm really at a loss as to what the issue is now.

With the vacuum switch jumpered, the auger motor does not need to be installed, correct? Because the testing I'm doing now I have the auger motor out of the stove, but plugged in

I would put it in the stove with it jumped and not connected to the feed spring. Door closed just like a regular start.

With the vac switch jumped, the auger does not need to be in the stove. kap

Is the exhaust fan coming on? Only other things are the #2 snap disc. #3 snap disc would shut power down to whole stove, stove, so that isn't it. Or wire connections, and finally the control box. kap

Ok, I just put everything back together, in the back of my mind I was thinking I was giving up. But, I threw some pellets in the hopper, through some pellets in the burn pot, turned it on, and it appears to be working fine. Basically I changed nothing except putting the auger motor and auger back in place. At the store we plugged it into a stove without it being installed and it turned fine, on mine with it not installed it it didn't turn. But the other day when I replaced the computer it wasn't turning either. So with my fingers crossed I'm hoping it continues to work fine. I really can't tell you guys how much I appreciate all the help