QuadraFire Explorer II : How not to overfire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigpig

Aug 13, 2016
Pittsburgh
Hi,

I have a QuadraFire Explorer II. If I fill the firebox (up to the level of the top of firebricks) the stove overfires rapidly getting to 500 - 600F (as measured from a magnetic temp gauge 3 inches from stove on the pipe - see pic), even with the burn rate control to minimum and the ACC off (all the way out). Am I right in suspecting with the burn rate control to it's lowest you should never see overfire? The only way we can bring the temp down in this situation is to open the door completely which seems to slow convection.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 9.33.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 9.33.01 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 220
Mod edit: Thread moved to join this one as it may be the same issue. Concern here was about a smell when the stove is hot.

I've had my QuadraFire Explorer II for over two years. We consistently experience a smell if the temp reaches 500F or above. It's bad enough we open windows and it stings the eyes a little. Any pointers?

Note a parallel thread on white residue we see, especially if the temp reaches 500F+ in case that is relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
The flue temp is very high. That may be overheating the stove. Unfortunately it's hard to read the stove body temp due to the cast iron convective jacket, but this may explain the smell. Is this also a fireplace install?

The temp is high for surface flue reading, that probably explains the new odor as the stove body paint may be overheating. The problem here is that you are not able to track actual stove body temp due to the convective cast iron jacket.

Describe how the stove is run including loading and air control settings.

Looks like about 20' which is good. Is there a 6" liner in the chimney connected to the stove?

Describe how the stove is run including loading and air control settings.

Yes, 6” insulated liner connected to stove. A simple example of loading is a few hours into a burn where I have red hot coals I load up the firebox with seasoned hardwood while keeping the acc off and air intake on lowest setting and door closed - then after 20 ish minutes temp on pipe builds to 500-650. The visual ferocity of the convection looks like the air is not damper down to me. Not sure how to test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a (
Hi,

I have a QuadraFire Explorer II. If I fill the firebox (up to the level of the top of firebricks) the stove overfires rapidly getting to 500 - 600F (as measured from a magnetic temp gauge 3 inches from stove on the pipe - see pic), even with the burn rate control to minimum and the ACC off (all the way out). Am I right in suspecting with the burn rate control to it's lowest you should never see overfire? The only way we can bring the temp down in this situation is to open the door completely which seems to slow convection.
I have a explorer three same problem can't put a lot of wood in at once big splits help and it seemed to get better after I had it for a couple mounths maybe air intake gets plugged up a bit after useing burns clean though

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Yes, 6” insulated liner connected to stove. A simple example of loading is a few hours into a burn where I have red hot coals I load up the firebox with seasoned hardwood while keeping the acc off and air intake on lowest setting and door closed - then after 20 ish minutes temp on pipe builds to 500-650. The visual ferocity of the convection looks like the air is not damper down to me. Not sure how to test.

Try letting the coal bed burn down a bit more before reloading. Move the hot coals to the front, center, then load large, thick splits.
If the problem persists there could be an issue of strong draft or maybe the ACC is sticking open?