Quadrafire Mount Vernon AE ignitor issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Winteriscoming1143

Aug 22, 2017
Massachusetts
Last winter the pellet stove burned out 3 ignitors on me and after the third one I just lit it manually for the last bit of winter. Any idea why it keeps burning them out and what the recommended fix is? This one was made in Sept 2006. The ignitor seems to stay on longer than necessary. I also have it set to burn corn because that's the only way I can get it to feed the pellets at the right speed. I use what I believe should be higher quality hardwood pellets and when I don't have it set to corn it feeds the pellets far faster than they can burn until eventually the firepot is overflowing and they get backed up in the chute until the auger jams. Lastly if it isn't too much trouble, part numbers forbwhayever if need to replace along with the proper ignitor part number would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

It sounds like whatever controls the power to your ignitor is stuck on, be it a relay or triac. If the ignitor is on all the time, it will burn out quickly. You need to find out which it is, and if it's bad/stuck/shorted.

As for your pellet feed - a couple of possibilities. You might have the wrong speed auger motor installed. You might not have enough airflow through the stove, which would cause a lower burn rate. Do you have any black residue on the glass or in the stove?

Make and model of stove would be very help full
Welcome to the forum
Oops missed it its in the header ;em

It sounds like whatever controls the power to your ignitor is stuck on, be it a relay or triac. If the ignitor is on all the time, it will burn out quickly. You need to find out which it is, and if it's bad/stuck/shorted.

As for your pellet feed - a couple of possibilities. You might have the wrong speed auger motor installed. You might not have enough airflow through the stove, which would cause a lower burn rate. Do you have any black residue on the glass or in the stove?

The ignitor doesn't stay stuck on all the time, I think it's staying on longer because i have it set on corn which is harder to start.

There's no way to adjust the feed rate manually on my stove from what I was reading last winter when I encountered this problem. I read about other peiple having similar issues and they said the only way to adjust the feed rate was to tell the stove it's burning a different type of fuel. With it thinking it's burning corn it feeds at the perfect rate and burns the pellets fully and there's only the typical buildup of creosote or whatever that black stuff is in the stove. Or at least I believe it's a normal amount. I typically only need to clean it once a week.

Make and model of stove would be very help full
Welcome to the forum
Oops missed it its in the header ;em

Don't you hate it when that happens haha. But thank you. Here I'll even attach a picture just because.

Attachments

• 20170822_212947.jpg
    20170822_212947.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 307