Quadrafire Mt. Vernon AE AutoClean and Check Ashpan repeating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ronniec

Jan 17, 2022
Minden LA
Problem:
After plugging the stove into the outlet, AutoClean engages, then Check Ashpan error message appears. We check ash pan and then push the retry button. AutoClean engages again, then Check Ash pan error message appears. This action continues to repeat.

Actions Taken in attempt to correct the issue:
1. Complete clean out of entire stove.
2. AutoClean motor has been replaced.
3. Gear Box has been replaced.
4. AutoClean switch has been replaced.

Results:
1. Motor is running, but arm will not move to move the ash pot forward.
2. Unhooked arm off ash pot and Autoclean motor is running, but arm is still not moving.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Ronnie C.

It's looks like nobody responded to you, strange. I just wanted to add I have a 4 year old Mount Vernon AE and the problem you describe has been happening to my stove for the past 4-5 months. Calls to the store I bought it from have resulted in many left messages but no return calls, typical.

On mine I watched the autoclean process and it looks like the floor of the pot moves to the right and back 3 times and then the fire lighting takes place. I've checked and double checked the autoclean mechanisms over and over and cannot see where its getting bound up. I can see/hear at the point it does get bound up but it doesn't look like there's anything bent or obstructing in any way. It makes loud metal on metal scraping noises right before it does stop in the middle of the process.

I used a screwdriver to press down on it during the right to center process and it eventually finishes.

I just wish there were a way to turn the autoclean process off. Based on this website and general google searches, this is happening to an alarming number of people. You'd think the manu would have addressed it at this point.

The problem I have is if I don't physically help it along it just errors out and doesn't start a burn. On 11 F nights that's not good. Please let us know if you got a dealer to look at it and if it was fixed, what the issue was. Good luck.

Reactions: ronniec
I've got an MVAE, built in 2011 so not sure if its the same but I have had that problem albeit not too often. In all of my cases the problem has been a dirty fire pot floor. I'm not talking about a little ash. I'm talking hard residue. I use a screw driver, mirror and light to clean. Scrape, scrape, scrape. Vacuum. Check fire pot bottom with the light and mirror. If I don't see shinny metal I keep going. Then I feel around for a nice flat bottom. No chunks or bumps. On the slanted face of the FP, I use the screwdriver and a small hammer to chip off the baked on residue. I do this about every 14 bags of pellets, plus or minus. In fact, just cleaned it this morning. Good luck.

Reactions: kappel15
It's looks like nobody responded to you, strange. I just wanted to add I have a 4 year old Mount Vernon AE and the problem you describe has been happening to my stove for the past 4-5 months. Calls to the store I bought it from have resulted in many left messages but no return calls, typical.

On mine I watched the autoclean process and it looks like the floor of the pot moves to the right and back 3 times and then the fire lighting takes place. I've checked and double checked the autoclean mechanisms over and over and cannot see where its getting bound up. I can see/hear at the point it does get bound up but it doesn't look like there's anything bent or obstructing in any way. It makes loud metal on metal scraping noises right before it does stop in the middle of the process.

I used a screwdriver to press down on it during the right to center process and it eventually finishes.

I just wish there were a way to turn the autoclean process off. Based on this website and general google searches, this is happening to an alarming number of people. You'd think the manu would have addressed it at this point.

The problem I have is if I don't physically help it along it just errors out and doesn't start a burn. On 11 F nights that's not good. Please let us know if you got a dealer to look at it and if it was fixed, what the issue was. Good luck.
Sorry but I have not found out what my problem is. And it seems that the manufacturer don't or the people that sale them care to help. Once you buy one your on your on. I have not been able to use mine all winter.

"Once you buy one your on your on. I have not been able to use mine all winter."

Unlike most companies Quadra fire does not want to talk to its customers and it can't be the numbers of callers or quantity of product sold. I call manufacturers from time to time and most often find them eager to help. Honeywell and Kohler come to mind and, obviously, Kohler sells a lot more product then Quadrafire. Regarding the retail seller, the store I bought my stove from is always helpful, has good service and great service people. Sorry for your experience and problems.

Pull ashpan and look at rails, the auto-clean slide on. How rusty are they? Just had a friend at start of season, couldn't get his stove to go. Pot floor was froze in place from rust on rails, and dirty pot floor. I sanded down rails and put some high temp anti_seize grease on them, cleaned pot floor and his stove ran fine. You can use a magnet on the door switch, to fool it into thinking door is closed, to stop auto_clean at places to help clean rails. kap