Quadrafire Mt. Vernon outside air kit worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Edrrt

Nov 19, 2019
Sonoma
I just installed the OE. For the amount of heat it puts out I'm surprised the small bedroom it's in doesn't heat faster and stay warmer.

I had no idea how much air pellet stoves move from the room to the outside. It's like a leaf blower sending all your hot air up the chimney and the cold air entering under the door is massive.

Reading here many comment that Quadrafire's OAK has no sealing and is basically useless.

Others debate their utility even with ideal designs.

My home is very drafty. It has 35 french doors and none seal well but climate is only occasionally 40's in winter.

I'm only trying to heat 1 bedroom. Is it worth punching a hole in the home or replacing the venting I just installed for a direct vent chimney?

Or does the poor design of the OAK for Quadrafire make it not worth it?

OAK on any stove is better than none, as you pointed out the volume of air leaving the exhaust vent must come from somewhere, adding a OAK allows the air to come from the path of least resistance and less offending to the comfort of the space heated, and your not exhausting heated room air at a fast rate. I modified both my stoves so that the OAK was directed to the combustion inlet, one just needed a baffle added for a more positive draw from the OAK, and the other I added cheap 2" exhaust flex pipe from the OAK to the combustion inlet, this stopped the back of the stoves from being an ice box.

OAK
I have one why because I do not see the economics
of sending air from my home that
I have paid to heat up the chimney
But the choice is yours
I have also been told I am as tight as a ducks ass and that's water tight

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up