Quadrafire Santa Fe B-1 (2007) Problems, smoked and now blinking blue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually when they ship those exhaust fans, they are on the housing. They do that for shipping purposes. You should only need the fan and gasket, not the housing. kap

Thanks bunches. I'll report back when I get the new fan installed and pipe recleaned. Betcha I'll find a buildup.

It may be late morning before I get a start, I'll be up late tonight with the portable space heater, to keep the pipes from freezing. 'Cause I don't need that problem on top of the stove.

I figured out the creosote on the ignitor. It's leaking out the holes in the firepot, right onto the ignitor, which is why it was smoking for a little bit. This incident was a lot shorter this time (I knew what to do this time, not let it smolder and smolder) so there was less build up this time.

Usually when they ship those exhaust fans, they are on the housing. They do that for shipping purposes. You should only need the fan and gasket, not the housing. kap

Oh, that's why the new one looks different. Didn't know why.

Stove is unplugged, I'll double-check, triple-check it's unplugged before starting.

Reactions: kappel15
There shouldn't be any creosote. Wonder if you got a bad batch of pellets. One thing I forgot to mention is to make sure all pot holes are clear. The ones around sides of pot and the 4 in angled part of pot at bottom. kap

Oh, that's why the new one looks different. Didn't know why.

Stove is unplugged, I'll double-check, triple-check it's unplugged before starting.
Ya, just take fan off of housing by loosening those 6 screws that screw it to housing and twisting from slots to the openings in round flange

Follow instructions in manual. Good luck. Nite

There shouldn't be any creosote.

Not even from a bad burn? It's dark black and goopy, like tar.

Could be the pellets. They may be old, as we're still using last years. Never had a problem with them before, they don't give much ash and clinkers are rare.

file this under "for future reference"

i have a pictorial account of the first time i pulled the motor on my heatilator (basically the same as the CB1200 in that regard)
it may be somewhat helpful. hopefully not confusing though since there will probably be differences.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/question-on-pulling-combuston-motor.86932/

it starts with me not even knowing exactly what to remove. longtime member dexter links his spring cleaning thread in there too.
since you are using a new blower/motor, the fins will be clean already. you can spray them with spray graphite (loctite) or dry moly spray which people say is even better. i couldn't find it locally though.
this helps to reduce build up on the fins. i'd say be careful not to get any spray in the actual motor, but with the mounting plate on it, you'd have to actually try to do that. still if you do use spray, spray across the fins into free space and not straight down.
i found that it really works and makes cleaning the fins less of a job that what is pictured in my thread. now my scraping is more casual.
oh, also i now just leave the screws in and gently push the gasket onto them. use your own judgement. the gasket should have pre made holes. just be gentle. if the holes seem too small, don't force too hard. don't want to tear or damage the gasket.
there is also a thread on making gaskets. you may want to trace a template from your new gasket before you use it. pencil in the hole locations too. that way, if you ever want to make one (much much cheaper) from a sheet of lytherm, you'll have a pattern.

if anyone sees anything glaringly wrong in there or has further suggestions, please feel free to correct or add to the info.

Last edited:
Sounds like everything is running, but she needs to find that #2 snap disc on the drop chute. Trying to remember if they combined #2 and #3 together at one point. Where is your #3 tj?
It's half way up the auger tube, Kap

Spray graphite, the same stuff you spray into locks? I have something called Lock Ease, Graphited Lock Fluid, same thing?

yep. works a treat.

*lol. all these years gone by and i just noticed i misspelled combustion.

Last edited:
Not even from a bad burn? It's dark black and goopy, like tar.

Could be the pellets. They may be old, as we're still using last years. Never had a problem with them before, they don't give much ash and clinkers are rare.
With your exhaust clogged (very likely) you aren't getting enough oxygen to the burning pellets and you could very well be generating a lot of creosote right in the burn pot, which drips out the holes and down onto the igniter.
Without a doubt, I would be pulling that combustion fan and cleaning out all the ash. Even if you have to wait a few days for a new gasket, you can't run it anyway. FYI, I was able to reuse my gasket twice before replacing it. Maybe you'll get lucky too.
As to the #2 snap disk, it's not where you see it in the video. Unplug the stove and put your hand on the back side of the chute that the pellets slide down. You'll feel it back there.
Good nite and good luck. If your pipe runs straight out then unscrew it from the back of the stove, pull the stove forward and push your brush out towards the outside.

Reactions: St_Earl
That is the exact part number called out on your owner's manual. That is a great price! Maybe I'll break down and put one on the shelf! It's just the blower and not the housing so you should see the holes that Kap was talking about to remove it. Very simple job on yours. More of a PITA on my inserts. Well, a LOT more! :)
At least you know what you're going to be doing tomorrow morning! I would replace that vacuum switch since it sure sounds like it's on its last leg.

Oh, when you take out the old one, check to see if they both have the same number of fan blades. Some Quad stoves in some years apparently have different number of blades. We all could learn a lesson here.

i'm curious what other people do as far as fitting the gasket. thread the screws through or leave the screws in and press the gasket over them?
i was using a hand made gasket, so maybe the holes were bigger than what comes from the suppliers.
i just don't want to give bad advice. it actually seemed a little less stress on it pressing it on since it was never left hanging from one or two screws at the beginning.

i'm also assuming the screw heads are the same small size, but it's possible that they aren't always. use your best judgement.

As to the #2 snap disk, it's not where you see it in the video. Unplug the stove and put your hand on the back side of the chute that the pellets slide down. You'll feel it back there.

I see 2 wires heading in that direction, but can't get in there deep enough to feel it. I might have to take the left door off to get to it (not enough clearance with the door hitting the wall.)

I see 2 wires heading in that direction, but can't get in there deep enough to feel it. I might have to take the left door off to get to it (not enough clearance with the door hitting the wall.)
If those wires are orange and one runs to the vacuum switch, then look no further. That's where #2 is hiding. :)

i'm curious what other people do as far as fitting the gasket. thread the screws through or leave the screws in and press the gasket over them?
i was using a hand made gasket, so maybe the holes were bigger than what comes from the suppliers.
i just don't want to give bad advice. it actually seemed a little less stress on it pressing it on since it was never left hanging from one or two screws at the beginning.

i'm also assuming the screw heads are the same small size, but it's possible that they aren't always. use your best judgement.
With the fan sitting up, lay the gasket in place on top of the flange, push a screw up through the hole and gasket and punch it through a small piece of paper or thin cardboard. That will hold each screw in place. The paper might char on the first burn but no big deal. You could also put the paper on the screws and THEN PUT THE GASKET IN PLACE to insulate the paper if that worries you.

Reactions: St_Earl
One is orange, one is red, but they both connect to the vacuum switch. Phew. So glad I do have all my snap discs. I've been so confused about those, for years!

One is orange, one is red, but they both connect to the vacuum switch. Phew. So glad I do have all my snap discs. I've been so confused about those, for years!
That's exactly right!!! The other orange wire runs to the Auger motor. One less mystery! :) The red wire is the power from the control box.

very nice solution for mounting the gasket. i imagine even if the paper chars, it stays intact where not exposed. thus keeping a snug fit after it's been tightened down.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
I have to say I am IMPRESSED. We have had many a person of the other gender who could not even figure out step one!

Status
Not open for further replies.