quadrafire santa fe manufactured September 2004 igniter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

987dooner987

Jan 8, 2022
New Hampshire
I need to get a new igniter for my Santa Fe (Quadrafire) pellet stove manufactured 0n 9/2004. I see igniters in 300 watts and a higher rated at 360ish watts. Any idea on why I should run one over the other? I'm inclined to go with the higher wattage but not sure if the stove handles that small amount of wattage over 300. Any ideas?

The 380 watt igniter is what you want. The 300 watt igniter was made for the AE, that burns just pellets, to try and keep em from burning out as fast. And be sure to get an oem part. Some that are advertised on internet as oem, are not and don't last very long. kap

The 380 watt igniter is what you want. The 300 watt igniter was made for the AE, that burns just pellets, to try and keep em from burning out as fast. And be sure to get an oem part. Some that are advertised on internet as oem, are not and don't last very long. ka

The 380 watt igniter is what you want. The 300 watt igniter was made for the AE, that burns just pellets, to try and keep em from burning out as fast. And be sure to get an oem part. Some that are advertised on internet as oem, are not and don't last very long. kap
I ended up ordering a 300W on ebay but certainly am not opposed to ordering a spare. This is probably the third or fourth igniter I've had to install since buying this thing but again I've had it since 2004 so no complaints.
My concern is more of will the stove handle the amp draw of the higher wattage igniter with no problems? It's finicky enough. Don't want to cause more problems. We're talking an 80-watt difference which should be less than an amp difference If I'm thinking right.

I have an 06 model Santa Fe, and its standard igniter is 380 watt. They came out with the 300 watt, after they introduced the AE stove. The igniter stays on for 26 minutes minimum in this stove. They were burning out, so Quad came up with the 300watt, to try and reduce the burn out. But it is strictly for AE's that are only burning pellets. kap

I only burn pellets. I've never burned corn though curious about trying it. So I guess I'm not worried about the lower wattage element right now. I'm inclined to order the 380 for that.
Do you burn corn or a blend at all?

Yes. I have burned just corn, but have to put a handful of pellets in pot before turning up tstat, as the Santa Fe will not ignite just corn. I also burn a mix of two to one, corn/pellets, if i want it to be able to ignite itself, and run off tstat. kap

Hey Kap,
Are you burning corn this year with prices the way they are?

Yes. I have burned just corn, but have to put a handful of pellets in pot before turning up tstat, as the Santa Fe will not ignite just corn. I also burn a mix of two to one, corn/pellets, if i want it to be able to ignite itself, and run off tstat. kap
The santa fe will not ignite corn with the 300w and will with the 380w or won't self ignite with either? Makes it a pain to run on thermostat. Probably best with a 50/50 blend at that point then I would guess, Where do you get the corn? Is it the same corn that they sell at tractor supply for animal feed?

Yep. Burning corn @ 6.76 a bushel. But i did buy a pallet of pellets @ 3.69 a bag. Best place to get corn is from a farmer. Alot cleaner and dryer then elevators or co-ops The Santa Fe is a pellet stove, that can burn corn. It will not, ignite just corn, no matter what igniter is used, as it isn't on long enough.. It will ignite a corn/pellet mix of two to one, corn/pellets. If it is cold enough outside, that the stove is pretty much running nostop, i will burn just corn. I have to throw a handful of pellets in the pot, before i turn the tstat up. This way the pellets ignite and burn the corn. When pot is getting too full or for whatever reason, i shut the stove down. Wait for fire to go out, and dump clinker. Then i can start over with a handful of pellets in the pot again. With the mix, it will run off of tstat, as it is a blend of fuels, and will ignite. kap

Yep. Burning corn @ 6.76 a bushel. But i did buy a pallet of pellets @ 3.69 a bag. Best place to get corn is from a farmer. Alot cleaner and dryer then elevators or co-ops The Santa Fe is a pellet stove, that can burn corn. It will not, ignite just corn, no matter what igniter is used, as it isn't on long enough.. It will ignite a corn/pellet mix of two to one, corn/pellets. If it is cold enough outside, that the stove is pretty much running nostop, i will burn just corn. I have to throw a handful of pellets in the pot, before i turn the tstat up. This way the pellets ignite and burn the corn. When pot is getting too full or for whatever reason, i shut the stove down. Wait for fire to go out, and dump clinker. Then i can start over with a handful of pellets in the pot again. With the mix, it will run off of tstat, as it is a blend of fuels, and will ignite. kap
what are the klinkers like and how often do you have to clean it with corn versus pellets?

Clinkers are more solid. Some you have to use something to break em up, and knock them down into ashpan. Too many variables to say how often you need to clean it. Mostly just when you see it needs it. kap

Im burning 100% corn in the St Croix. I got it for $6.17/bu. I like corn in that stove. 100% Pellets in the Harman down stairs Corn is a little less expensive than pellets here, plus I like the fact that the corn is grown right down the road and we buy from a buddy of mine that farms.

Reactions: kappel15
That was a good price for corn these days. Pellets around here average 6.59 a bag. kap