Quadrafire Sante Fe Pellet Burner stopped running?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokeyTheBear said:
DanielMiller319 said:
I got the hose off of the vacuum and blew into it, also I do get six blue lights when I turn it back on...no luck.

If that combustion blower isn't running you'll never get anywhere.

Now assuming (a huge mistake) that there may be a gremlin in the workings with the stove off and unplugged, remove the control box, put the control box back on, plug the stove in, turn it on and let us know every light that comes on.

Yes. as Smokey states. Knowing whether the Combustion blower is running (Spinning).., Can you go outside and see if you can feel any air coming out of the vent???

The lights play an important role too... Do you have this unit on a Good Surge Protector??

To reinforce what Smokey said about the control box, many times problems occur on the Quads because of a bad connection where the control box plugs into the stove. FIRST MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT THE STOVE IS UNPLUGGED. If you don't, it will ruin the $400+ box. Then pull it out and plug it back in. Sounds simple but it has cured many ills here on the forum.

Have you taken the side panel off and looked to see if the blower is turning? The outer cooling fan should be turning.

Did You Get That Quad Buring Yet ? Good advice above, Let us know how things are going

Good morning guys,

I apologize about not updating anyone yesterday as between troubleshooting and trying to find people to help yesterday was a wild day, I do not have the burner working yet but a Good Samaritan (DexterDay) is going to help us out on Friday and finally a technician from the place we originally purchased it called us back last night and he is coming out Saturday. I want to genuinely thank everyone for their thoughts and suggestions, I have never seen people be so willing to help out other strangers in need. I literally felt like a was trying to fix a space shuttle as some points, I will be sure to post on Friday or Saturday that we are up and running, again I cannot express enough appreciation and gratitude to the wonderful people on this forum you people are truly amazing,

thank you again and have a great day,
Dan

Great! Make sure you post everything they found. We are ALL still learning something new every day.

tjnamtiw said:
Great! Make sure you post everything they found. We are ALL still learning something new every day.

Gonna stop out Fri evening after work and take a gander. Bringing a few tools and a some extra parts. Have talked with them on the phone and through PM. Seem like really nice people. The combustion blower does not seem to be working.
The warranty is up in a couple/few weeks. So it is detrimental that it be repaired now. Before they have to come out of pocket. There stove came from the same dealer as my Quad. He will soon be selling or closing.. And everyone that has a stove through them. May be up $hit creek without a paddle. I have started to look my firebox, burn pot, etc. Over with a fine tooth comb. Anything still under warranty that may need replaced or repaired.

I am sure one of us will keep you updated. Looking forward to meeting new members.

Maybe it will be some thing simple. Power up that blower with old extension cord and jumper. Then you can narrow it down. Good luck

DexterDay said:
tjnamtiw said:

Gonna stop out Fri evening after work and take a gander. Bringing a few tools and a some extra parts. Have talked with them on the phone and through PM. Seem like really nice people. The combustion blower does not seem to be working.
The warranty is up in a couple/few weeks. So it is detrimental that it be repaired now. Before they have to come out of pocket. There stove came from the same dealer as my Quad. He will soon be selling or closing.. And everyone that has a stove through them. May be up $hit creek without a paddle. I have started to look my firebox, burn pot, etc. Over with a fine tooth comb. Anything still under warranty that may need replaced or repaired.

I am sure one of us will keep you updated. Looking forward to meeting new members.

That's nice of you to help them! This dealer-only service situation is sooner or later going to destroy some of the pellet manufacturers. They have got to wake up to the fact that businesses start and fail every day and you can't leave your end-users in a lurch like that.

sante fe said:
Maybe it will be some thing simple. Power up that blower with old extension cord and jumper. Then you can narrow it down. Good luck

Yep. Have a cord in my little bag of tricks. Here is to hoping its an easy fix.....

If it is the blower it will be a warranty item and they should receive zero charges. Otherwise the tech is coming Sat. I am going to give them a basic Preventive Maintenance course on how and what to clean and at what intervals to do so. That why that dont have to rely on "our dealer" that may be going out of business in a few short months.

Have a bag of tools packed. The only problem that I may face is getting on there roof. She said its prob a 20' liner. I cant bring a ladder with me. But wil still brinv my leafblower just in case we can get up there. That may be the one thing I cant show them how to do. Rather just explain. But Lint eater, leaf blower, multi-meter, lamp cord, brushes, and various other tools are packed.

Wish I could go with you. I might actually learn something!!! Good luck.

Oh, take a camera along to document the problem.

Well.... I got home awhile ago. I spent a little over 3 hrs at this couples home.. They have a very nice home, hearth, dogs, friends, and family....

Now on to the stove. Upon arriving, I thought the combustion blower was going to be fried (Based on phone and PM) I stuck my hand into the right side ash trap (Exhaust path) and felt a lot of ash.. They had a chimney sweep out last week and he said it did not need it. He did not charge them. But also did not do anything.

The stove was "Dirty". They were unaware of a problem because they didn't know any better and they had someone say it was clean (How could they be at fault?)..

The leafblower came out!!!! Ran my lint-eater up and down there 4" liner and then blew it out.. I cleaned the inside of the stove, (8 Small Burn pot holes at bottom) and then removed the combustion blower (Brought a gasket with me) and cleaned the fins and lubed the bearings (As good as possible). Cleaned the convection blower as well as I could with my brushes and a vacuum, without removing it. Blew the vacuum hose out and did a couple other small various checks.

Then was the moment of truth. They had bought a Good surge protector. So after plugging the stove in........

The combustion blower started turning after plugged in. After turning the stove on (Call for heat) it took 3 "Resets" to Prime the auger and then they quickly had fire.

It was nice to sit and conversate with them. Always nice to meet new members and being able to help one out, was even better.

I believe they were happy with the work. they now do not need a Tech to come look at there stove (Our dealer sub contracts, and getting ready to go out of business or sell)

They live very close and we are in the same age group/generation.

Probably missing something... But all is well with there stove and they are now wiser in the ways of cleaning. Would not hesitate to help them again. Very nice couple and seemed like I knew them for years. Even left a few bags of pellets for them to try (Somersets, Green Supremes, AWF's, Easy Heats). They had Michigan Wood Pellets and Green Label Ligs. Told them of the places I knew that had good pellets for cheap.

Was a good day. All in all, I think they are happy and I was happy to help.

Attachments

• 1 Good Deed 1.jpg
    1 Good Deed 1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 379
  • 1 Good Deed 2.jpg
    1 Good Deed 2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 367
  • 1 Good Deed 3 (leafblower).jpg
    1 Good Deed 3 (leafblower).jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 377
  • 1 Good Deed 4 (Hearth Wide).jpg
    1 Good Deed 4 (Hearth Wide).jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 362
  • 1 Good Deed 5 (Hearth Narrow).jpg
    1 Good Deed 5 (Hearth Narrow).jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 336
I waited up for you, Dex. :) So you managed to get on the roof and not fall. That looks like a pretty healthy pitch. Did you get a good impressive cloud when you turned it on? I can only imagine how much of that build up in the pipe was sitting around the combustion blower!

That's good news and they are now trained by an expert. Good for you, man! It looks good with fire in it and I'm glad it didn't take anything expensive. Do they have an OAK hooked up going out the ash dump? Get some sleep!

We knew you could get things heated up in no time.

Now they know about the leaf blower, lint eaters, and where the ash likes to hide out.

krooser (who had to rush home to correct a dirty stove situation) would be proud.

Once again a clean stove is a happy and safe stove.

Thanks guys. They also had a little "cubby" cut out of the brick wall on the bottom left. It was a big enough hole to hold about 10 bags of pellets. The coolest part about it??? The cubby was fed from the garage, where the pellets were stacked.. Never have to lug pellets far at all...

The cloud was pretty good. Although for the amount, not as good as I thought it was going to be.

They had went 2 full seasons without cleaning. Having hired someone to look at the chimney (started on Sun after he left/stove worked/he came/checked liner/removed cap/crud fell loose anx into combustion blower housing/locked up combustion blower) They did hire someone to look. This person just did nothing. The top pf the liner was pretty bad. As soon as I touched it, the ash started to fall off and down the liner.

Good people and they offered for me to come do this once pr twice a year for a pretty substantial amount of money. Cant say enough good things about them.

They are wise in the way of cleanings and I have a feeling that I made some friends along the way.

Goodnight folks.

Nice work Dex, Your a good person for helping them out. Did they have two spring clips that attached the exhaust flange to the blower. I usually disconnect it there and move pipe to the side and tape a bag to it. Then

when I brush the pipe it all goes in the bag. Then I attach a small hose to vac and go in from top of combustion blower and vac out. Oh well good job getting the quad up and running

sante fe said:
Nice work Dex, Your a good person for helping them out. Did they have two spring clips that attached the exhaust flange to the blower. I usually disconnect it there and move pipe to the side and tape a bag to it. Then

when I brush the pipe it all goes in the bag. Then I attach a small hose to vac and go in from top of combustion blower and vac out. Oh well good job getting the quad up and running

Having never worked on the insert before (they are a little different than freestanding/exhaust blower mounting) I seen the 2 clips but did not remove. I ran my Lint-Eater from the top (you can feel it hit that adapter), then I used the leaf blower for over 5 min, went downstairs and tapped, brushed, and opened and closed the door. After that I removed the combustion blower and used a small bottle brush (18" long) to go from the combustion blower housing to the top of adapter (still a fair amount there). I took my little brushes and got above there heat exchanger real good. Cleaned all the holes in the burn pot (they kept up on the little holes very good).

All in all it was a good time. Some adult beverages after and may have made some new friends in the process.

They only burn around 2.5 ton a winter (Beatiful house, very open floor plan, with a small hallway with the bedrooms) Not a small house, just good placement of the stove in the middle of the house and they are able to shut off the other room/rooms of the house (no kids/yet??)

Couldn't find a bad thing to say about them. Super nice and good hospitality.
I will keep in mind about the 2 clips. Just in case I do end up cleaning there unit again.

Working on inserts will make you love the free standers a bit more! Pulling it out is always a PITA and usually makes you donate some blood to the project!

But they do have a look about them~ :)

That's what I have is an insert. You are right not much room to work. Its tuff but you can get in there. Yeah I'm a blood donor also haha Think I brushed up on a few cuss words also. All in all its not that bad if you don't let it get your Mojo.

j-takeman said:
Working on inserts will make you love the free standers a bit more! Pulling it out is always a PITA and usually makes you donate some blood to the project!

But they do have a look about them~ :)

X2 on that one!!!!!

Hey guys,

sorry for the delay in responding the weekend was kind of nuts. As mentioned Dex came out on Friday and was an absolute God send. Not only did Dex fix our problem he showed us and taught us things that we had never been exposed to before. Dex truly reaffirmed what my mother continues to say and that is that there truly are good people left in this world. I could not feel more blessed that he was willing to take time out of his busy life and schedule and help us out. The people I have found on this forum are amazing, thank you again to everyone for your help and suggestions and again I say to Dex thank you a million times over. You guys are a wonderful community,

Have a great day,

Welcome to the community! Now by year's end, you are going to be an 'expert' so don't be afraid to chime in when you see someone struggling with something you have figured out how to cure. Stay warm!

DanielMiller319 said:
Hey guys,

sorry for the delay in responding the weekend was kind of nuts. As mentioned Dex came out on Friday and was an absolute God send. Not only did Dex fix our problem he showed us and taught us things that we had never been exposed to before. Dex truly reaffirmed what my mother continues to say and that is that there truly are good people left in this world. I could not feel more blessed that he was willing to take time out of his busy life and schedule and help us out. The people I have found on this forum are amazing, thank you again to everyone for your help and suggestions and again I say to Dex thank you a million times over. You guys are a wonderful community,

Have a great day,

You are very much welcome... There are some nice people left in the world.

Glad I could help and if there is ever a problem or a question. Dont hesitate to call. My schedule is busy. I am working 12 hrs a day for this week and most of next. Also working straight through the weekend (again) .... But you are just off the highway on my way home and would hope in a time of need, someone would do the same for me.

As long as you clean it the way you guys were cleaning it (firebox was spotless) and do what I did about twice a year. That stove will serve you for many years to come.

Hope you had fun at your Halloween party ... Cheers....

Status
Not open for further replies.